General-purpose coding language

It's my main language atm, doesn't mean I'm very good at it though :p just starting to delve into proper KVC, plus working out all this background threading nonsense (iphones handle background tasks weirdly -_- multitasking my arse)

c# is a moderately successful attempt to copy java and has a number of features that arguably add value. On the other hand some of the best things about java either could not be copied, or for whatever reason, weren't.

Just curious, but such as what? Everything I've heard is C# is a huge improvement over Java.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

Mostly it's the "big" stuff. The community engagement java enjoyed before it was purchased by Oracle massively strengthened the eco-system around it. What this still means today is that it has loads of great toolstacks for development and deployment, really good platform compatibility, libraries, documentation and so on. Importantly, mush of this is third-party i.e. not Sun/Oracle.
Pretty much everything that makes a professionals happy, whether they be a business decision-maker or a technology project leader.

Of course that stuff applies to developers as well but we also get to enjoy the "small" stuff, I prefer java's style and syntactical details, for example.

How do you find where (on the filesystem) is the file that contains a given class you are looking for in c#?

Mostly it's the "big" stuff. The community engagement java enjoyed before it was purchased by Oracle massively strengthened the eco-system around it. What this still means today is that it has loads of great toolstacks for development and deployment, really good platform compatibility, libraries, documentation and so on. Importantly, mush of this is third-party i.e. not Sun/Oracle.
Pretty much everything that makes a professionals happy, whether they be a business decision-maker or a technology project leader.

There's a lot of 3rd party stuff for C# as well; CodeProject has a lot of user-built libraries for C# - used several myself on different projects as well. But yes, Oracle was Java's biggest decline.

Of course that stuff applies to developers as well but we also get to enjoy the "small" stuff, I prefer java's style and syntactical details, for example.

I felt that C# and Java were pretty much the same, minus a few things such as I/O for files/console. However, the biggest thing I like about C# is Visual Studio. Never did like Netbeans when I tried it. Saw IntelliJ IDEA, but haven't tried it yet. To me, without having anybody have ever shown me how to, setting up a Java project was more difficult than setting up a C# project. Just seemed confusing.

How do you find where (on the filesystem) is the file that contains a given class you are looking for in c#?

The library files are all under the .NET Framework folders. If you want to see which DLL file exactly (if it's a system file one), then you can hover over the file when you (in Visual Studio) go to add a reference.

There's a lot of 3rd party stuff for C# as well; CodeProject has a lot of user-built libraries for C# - used several myself on different projects as well. But yes, Oracle was Java's biggest decline.

There might be some but if you go to the Apache foundation, for example, you'll see a lot more for java. The average java application might be:
IDE: eclipse
Database: postgres
Development machines: Windows
JDK/JRE: Oracle JDK
Server: tomcat on linux

In contrast, the average c# application might be:
IDE: visual studio
Database: MS SQL server
Development machines: windows
.NET Framework: MS .NET
Server: MS .NET on win server

I felt that C# and Java were pretty much the same, minus a few things such as I/O for files/console. However, the biggest thing I like about C# is Visual Studio. Never did like Netbeans when I tried it. Saw IntelliJ IDEA, but haven't tried it yet. To me, without having anybody have ever shown me how to, setting up a Java project was more difficult than setting up a C# project. Just seemed confusing.

It's a bit late for me to address any of those points right now but that is a legitimate viewpoint and I can understand it.

The library files are all under the .NET Framework folders. If you want to see which DLL file exactly (if it's a system file one), then you can hover over the file when you (in Visual Studio) go to add a reference.

That's not exactly what I mean; java has a neat system whereby there is a direct relationship between package, class name, directory and file name. c# tends to not have that, or if it did you would rapidly end up with a wide and shallow source tree.

Of course there are ways around these things but I just prefer java.

Back
Top Bottom