Game Programming - What language to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
dbernie41 said:
I dont know how many of you are familiar with Super Mario RPG for Super Nintendo. I would like to make something very similar to that? What language would you recommend?

In case you are not familiar with it, it is similar to any final fantasy game for the Playstation One.

If you are a good programmer, and plan on making more than this one game in the future, I would suggest learning Flash.

Flash only took two dedicated months for me to learn, and I think it would be perfect for an RPG. For an example, you can look at the RPG-ish games that www.theromp.com make.

I'm sorry but flash is not a serious programming language. For a serious 3D game, most profressionals use C because it's so fast. C++ is probably the second choice up. And actually, suprisingly, for 3D games Java and C# have pretty much the same speed as C++! That's mainly because the program spends most of it's time in the 3D Graphics Card. So a lot of companies use C++ as the main language, but use Java as the main scripting language.

It all really depends on what type of game you're going to make.

And for an RPG, to make it from scratch, VB, Java, or C# would be your best bet. Personally I'd choose C# or Java because I like those better.

To the guy who said C# is an ugly language....I oughta rip your fingers off your hand and shove them up your ears! :D C# pwnz

Iron_Cross said:
I'm sorry but flash is not a serious programming language. For a serious 3D game, most profressionals use C because it's so fast. C++ is probably the second choice up. And actually, suprisingly, for 3D games Java and C# have pretty much the same speed as C++!

I agree with you that C and Java are better for learning how to create games, but you're not listening to what dbernie41 is looking for.

In my opinion, he should definitely look into flash.

It comes down to one thing, animation vs. action...

Games like Tekken and GTA are all fulled with action, and require alot of user input on the fly. To do this, you would need the use of threads and timers, which is easiest to code with Java and C.

An RPG does not require such a thing. Iron_Cross, have you even ever played the Mario Bros. RPG??? It is 99.9% animation and not alot of need for timers and threads. You are not looking at dbernie41's needs at all!!! He needs a whole lot more animation than user input on the fly. Most user actions in RPGs are done through buttons, NOT hotkeys. Not only are the buttons in Flash a whole lot easier to handle, but the animation is ten times easier to do (so easy, nonprogrammers have made brilliant Flash videos).

Since Dbernie41 is looking to create a program where the majority of it is going to be used for ANIMATION, then Flash is the easier and less time consuming way to go. <<--- And all of this is coming from a Java Programmer!!!

As I said before, go onto www.theromp.com, and if you would like your RPG to be in anywhere near the same format, you will be golden with Flash.

I was simply saying that because the few "rpg-ish" games I've seen in flash sucked. Because that's not what flash was made for. It can handle simple games, and make some sweet movies, but in my opinion a TRUE game needs to programmed in something other than flash.
I've never played Mario RPG, I'm talking purly from a general RPG perspective. In my mind, using flash, you just coulnd't create the full-scale game you could using a real language. Sure the animation may be easier, but there is so much more to an RPG than that. Most RPG's don't even use the excutable as the game, they only use that as the init and engine. The rest is read from a script. I've never tried any I/O in flash, but I'm assuming the other languages are better at it.
This is all just my opinion though :p

C# would be out of the question for me also because i find it to be an ugly programming language, Delphi is easier for me to understand because the syntax is more like english.

Then you won't have a fun time learning C/C++ since all three langauges are very close.

And Iron I must disagree with you I think C++ is the #1 choice because of the fact it's an OOP langauge.

Iron_Cross said:

To the guy who said C# is an ugly language....I oughta rip your fingers off your hand and shove them up your ears! :D C# pwnz
lol, my bad..i meant to say c++, i dont know anything bout c#

No one said C++ is not OOP. I said it's not pure OOP. Meaning, you can choose to use OOP or you can choose not to. It's all a matter of choice. Whereas in C# or Java, you are forced to use OOP. Maybe not forced to use OOP methodologies, but you are forced to use a pure form of Object Orientation. I.e. you can't get away from classes, objects, and structs (c#).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom