Game Programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Nick

In Runtime
Hi Everybody,
I have been wanting to lear a programing language for some time now (I learned a little C and have a VB for dummies book that i never started:p ) but I want to use whaterver language I lear to build games. I realise that with no language can I make a BF2 or Half Life but just want to make somthing simple like PacMan or somthing. What would be the optimum language to learn that would allow me to make even the simplest games?

Honestly, get yourself an ancient DOS C/C++ compiler and get some tutorials on basic mode 13h programming and go to town. Thats how I used to do all my game programming back in the day. Its way too much work trying to learn the basics when you have to use something as obtuse as DirectX or those types of things now. I used to do it all in Borland Turbo C++ 3.0.

If you want to get into the modern stuff, get used to programming in C and start looking into some OpenGL programming. When I was in high school I learned the basics of OpenGL and coded up a little game engine in about a semester with no prior knowledge, so its doable. Try http://nehe.gamedev.net/ for some OpenGL tutorials.

Which is harder C, or OpenGL and which would I want to learn first? My Highschool does not offer C or OpenGL so im pretty much on my own:angry:

OpenGL isn't a language. It's a library used for making advanced graphics (ie. the ones in games).
First learn C, get your head around just using the normal libraries. Then move on to learning OpenGL or DirectX (whichever library you wish to use).

DirectX is one of the most obtuse APIs I have ever seen. Definitely learn C and use OpenGL first if you are just learning.

The fact that it's obtuse is besides the point, it's going to quite a while before he could OpenGL or DirectX, so it really doesn't matter. And by the time he finally gets to a point where he could use either of those libraries sucessfully, he'll probably be able to answer his own questions :p

So basicly what you're saying is that OpenGL and DirectX are simply lybraries that allow you to make better and more advanced games with C and "learning" these is more just learning the tags and what not that call for the things in the lybraries they offer. A little side quest, is C# different from C or C++? what are the differences between all of these and which should i learn first or possibly only?
Thanks

C# is a different language than C or C++. It's kind of a dirivative of C++ (and therfore C).
It's a managed language, because it handles things for you like garbage collection. If you really want a detailed list about what the differences are you need to check places like http://msdn.microsoft.com/
C# can use DirectX as well, so long as it's 9.0 or later.

But yes, they're simply libraries that allow you draw and use advanced graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom