Final Decision - Which language?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps but I don't think C++ is really that hard of a language until you start getting into complex subjects such a recursion and dynamic memory allocation.

Iron_Cross said all that was needed to say.

DEFINITElY don't do it in C++. Do it in either Java, C# or PHP.

I just had a final project at my college and those who worked in C++ spent three times as much time as those who worked in C#. A large reason why is because how powerful C# .NET programming is.

Good stuff. Thanks for all your help. I think I'm going with Java. It seems like the best option for me. C# is easier at my college. There are only 2 projects for it where as Java has 6 projects. Yes, its harder but I think once I get Java down, I'm gonna go on to C# and later on maybe C++. I only get one language for my college and I think Java is a good candidate.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes.

I think you chose well. Java->C#->Maybe C++...that's a wise path. Since you'd basically be building on each step. Although, you may find that once you get to C#, you won't need C++ ;)

ahhh.. no one recommended C for *nix?! the page Iron_Cross first suggested is a good page, look carefully under the headings: python, perl, C/C++, lisp

I no longer program in java.. as i find it VERY hard to do what you want.. fast.. As java has a relative strict syntax, it gives programmers little power to extend.. It also forces OOP, i'm betting it's not the best way to solve every problems.. though, as a saying goes, "if you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail", if you know only OO style, everything looks like an object.. whereas from the real world, nothing is just this type.. if anyone tell you you HAVE to program this way, you know right away they are BSing, or just don't know much about other ways..

i'd rather start with a flexible language that will let you do programs your way.. out of all flexible languages, lisp is the most.. as you can redefine the whole language except 12 operators (which you need to write every other operators)... there is no syntax, you write directly in parsetree (as a result, it's alot shorter than other programming languages).. though, python/ruby/perl is a good language.. they at least don't force you to program ing OO style :D

Well learn C# now and eventually you should learn at least 1 new language a year. In your carear you will stumble into them so you might as well be familiar with them sooner than later.

Engineers should still learn fortran and cobol because many many companies still have tons of code that they need to maintain. Languages don't vanish overnight.

Alright. I am not gonna start with C++. The course at my college fpr it is quite advanced. Most of the people fall behind on that course. And if you fall behind past your due graduation date you have to pay a lot of extra money. I'm having difficult keeping up on other stuff already. SO I'll start with Java and next year I'm going to learn C#.

Seems like a goo option. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom