Edit / Fix a Control Configuration File

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junorion

Solid State Member
**For those that understand .dll files and .exe files, maybe you can help me put these pieces together**
I am searching for a way to find, change, edit, or otherwise fix a messed up file

I have installed the PC version of Turok-Evolution and have run into a problem with the control configurations. I got this game from a friend and apparently it was not released in the US (only Europe & Japan) and very little helpful information is available on the web in regards to troubleshooting any problems. To make things more difficult, the game was made by Acclaim Entertainment which is no longer in business. (Also... this is obviously a port from the console version)
The game installed and runs fine. It plays stable *EXCEPT* you cannot re-map or re-configure the controls....actually you can’t even access that portion of the game options. When you select the controls option on the main menu the game crashes to desktop with a "turok has encountered a problem and needs to close" error. Apparently this has always been a problem with the game... http://www.ferrago.com/story/2500

I started looking at the game files in the main directory and found no user-config files or any "keymap" or "profile" files that can sometimes be edited for controls in other games.

There are two files related to controls one is a .txm text file and the other is a .dll

The text file is found in the main directory\data\text folder and is called controls.txm . It looks like keymaps BUT I think it's only be for in game text purposes.

****Contents of controls.txt****

*key = 0 *value = "Reserved" *key = 1*value = "Jump" *key = 2 *value = "Backward" *key = 3 *value = "Decelerate" *key = 4 *value = "Decelerate" *key = 5 *value = "Unused" *key = 6 *value = "Strafe Right" *key = 7 *value = "Bank Right" *key = 8 *value = "Fire Rocket" *key = 9 *value = "Next Weapon" *key = 10 *value = "Strafe Left" *key = 11 *value = "Bank Left" *key = 12 *value = "Fire Guns" *key = 13 *value = "Prev Weapon" *key = 14 *value = "Forward" *key = 15 *value = "Accelerate" *key = 16 *value = "Accelerate" *key = 17 *value = "Unused" *key = 18 *value = "Weapon Mode" *key = 19 *value = "Camera" *key = 20 *value = "Camera" *key = 21 *value = "Duck" *key = 22 *value = "Duck" *key = 23 *value = "Unused" *key = 24 *value = "Unused" *key = 25 *value = "Weapon Mode" *key = 26 *value = "Jump" *key = 27 *value = "Fire Rocket" *key = 28 *value = "Bank Left" *key = 29 *value = "Fire Weapon" *key = 30 *value = "Fire Weapon" *key = 31 *value = "Fire Guns" *key = 32 *value = "Bank Right" *key = 33 *value = "Strafe" *key = 34 *value = "Turn" *key = 35 *value = "Turn" *key = 36 *value = "Turn" *key = 37 *value = "Move" *key = 38 *value = "Look" *key = 39 *value = "Dive / Climb" *key = 40 *value = "Dive / Climb" *key = 41 *value = "Duck" *key = 42 *value = "Duck" *key = 43 *value = "Fire Guns" *key = 44 *value = "Fire Guns" *key = 45 *value = "Turn" *key = 46 *value = "Unused" *key = 47 *value = "Unused" *key = 48 *value = "Unused" *key = 49 *value = "Look" *key = 50 *value = "Unused" *key = 51 *value = "Unused" *key = 52 *value = "Unused" *key = 53 *value = "Zoom" *key = 54 *value = "Zoom" *key = 55 *value = "Fire Rocket" *key = 56 *value = "Fire Rocket" *key = 57 *value = "Unused" *key = 58 *value = "Unused" *key = 59 *value = "Unused" *key = 60 *value = "Unused" *key = 61 *value = "Unused" *key = 62 *value = "Cycle Weapon" *key = 63 *value = "Unused" *key = 64 *value = "Unused" *key = 65 *value = "FIRST PERSON" *key = 66 *value = "FIRST PERSON" *key = 67 *value = "FLIGHT" *key = 68 *value = "FLIGHT"

The dll is called diconfig.dll and is found in the games main directory, from what I found here http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/d...ctx9_c/directx/input/samps/diconfigsample.asp this file seems to be related to key-mappings, DirectX, and C++.

I used Resource Hacker to open and view the .dll and.exe files
http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

This is a image of my diconfig.dll opened in ResHac

****Contents of diconfig.dll****
(All the information here is from the 1033 files wich are the english versions, the other numbers
under string value are just different languages **the bitmap folders are only small arrow icons**)

STRINGTABLE
LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
{
25, "Device Action Configuration"
26, "OK"
27, "Failed to Load Image"
28, "The path was NULL."
29, "Could not create image from file \"%s\"."
30, "Cancel"
31, "Reset"
}

STRINGTABLE
{
32, "Click to select a different device."
33, "Click to scroll device tabs."
34, "The current settings for this device are displayed to the right."
35, "Click to show assigned actions at the top of the list."
36, "Click to disable list sorting."
37, "Click to see another view of this device."
38, "Click to close this window."
39, "Displays the current user for this device."
40, "Show settings for another mode."
41, "Click to select a different device."
42, "Click to scroll device tabs."
43, "Select a control with the mouse, by moving an axis or by pressing a button."
44, "Click to show assigned actions at the top of the list."
45, "Click to disable list sorting."
46, "Click to see another view of this device."
47, "Click to return to the recommended settings for this device."
}

STRINGTABLE
{
48, "Click to accept changes and close this dialog."
49, "Click to cancel changes."
50, "Select a control on the device to be configured."
51, "Press the Enter key, or double click the control to begin configuring it."
52, "Assign this device to a player."
53, "Configure for a different mode."
54, "Select a control with the mouse, by moving an axis or by pressing a button."
55, "The current settings for this device are displayed to the right."
56, "Edit the action assigned to this control by pressing ENTER or double clicking the control."
57, "Choose an action for this control from the list. Press [Delete] to remove an action from the device. Press [Escape] to stop changes."
58, "Select a control with the mouse or by pressing a key."
59, "Select a control with the mouse."
60, "This control cannot be remapped."
61, "Information"
62, "Player"
63, "Game Mode"
}

STRINGTABLE
{
64, "Available Actions"
65, "Sort Assigned"
66, "Axis Actions"
67, "Button Actions"
68, "POV Actions"
69, "Controls"
70, "Actions"
71, "Resetting the device..."
}

I also opened the games .exe file and found related entries similir to the diconfig.dll

This is a image of the Turok.exe opened in ResHac

****Contents of Turok.exe****

STRINGTABLE
{
102, "Look Up/Down"
103, "Look Left/Right"
104, "Primary Fire"
105, "Secondary Fire"
106, "Weapon Zoom"
107, "Move Forward"
108, "Move Backward"
109, "Move Left"
110, "Move Right"
111, "Look Left"
}

STRINGTABLE
{
112, "Look Right"
113, "Look Up"
114, "Look Down"
115, "Look Center"
116, "Duck Modifier"
117, "Jump"
118, "Use/Climb"
119, "Cycle Weapons Forward"
120, "Cycle Weapons Backward"
121, "Select Melee Weapon"
122, "Select Bow Weapon"
123, "Select Basic Weapon"
124, "Select Thrown Weapon"
125, "Select Heavy Weapon"
126, "Select Special Weapon"
127, "Pause"
}

STRINGTABLE
{
128, "Fly Mode"
129, "Debug Screen"
130, "Configure"
}

So, I’m looking for a way to edit one of these files, understand how they relate to each other, or even find out if there is any way to fix this. I can send the .dll or .exe to anyone who wants to look at them

The problem might be as plain as day, or maybe I cant fix it at all, but I dont know enough about .dll files and .exe's to know what to look for.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated, Thanks!

I suppose I would have got some responses with some stupid thread like...

" I has a baddnes in a file Yo, can sum1 plz help me!!!!!111 I needs the help or I might die!!
What is the problem wit my file TELL ME NOW aaaahahahhaaaaa..."

:rolleyes:

OR, mabey I just posted too much text? Is it easier to read a thread that is posted in chunks of info?
I actually expected someone to read it I guess.

:rolleyes:x2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom