Dealing with a lot of data in a mobile game

danhodge

In Runtime
Hey! So i'm planning on developing a mobile game soon, which is a quiz game basically, and i was wondering what standard protocol is in storing the questions/answers.
For example, i know how to program this using text files, but i'm assuming that that's an archaic way if doing things. For reference, i'll be using Unity to do this.
Thanks for any help,
Danny

Hey! So i'm planning on developing a mobile game soon, which is a quiz game basically, and i was wondering what standard protocol is in storing the questions/answers.
For example, i know how to program this using text files, but i'm assuming that that's an archaic way if doing things. For reference, i'll be using Unity to do this.
Thanks for any help,
Danny

SqLite in storing the questions locally if you want to do it that way (for Android anyway - not sure how Apple stores local data).

You could make it expandable by using web services that connected to a server and download new questions, either automatically or when the user taps an "Update" button. You can also deploy the new questions incrementally through whatever app store you're using usually, as part of an update (so that the "GetNewQuestions" API wouldn't be super huge).

So if i did it locally, would that require a significant amount of SQL, or not too much?
And is there a disadvantage to doing it that way? If its simpler, i'd rather do that for my first release. Dipping my toe in, as they say ;)
Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
What do you mean by "a significant amount of SQL" ?

Do you mean actual SQL queries? Kind of - but SQLite is a very simplified implementation of SQL. Usually you'd just be doing INSERT, SELECT, and maybe DELETE if need be, especially if all you're doing is storing quiz questions & answers. Can get away with having just a couple tables (a Questions table and a Responses table, tied by a Question ID or something like that).

Back
Top Bottom