data structures project

Status
Not open for further replies.

psyb0rg

Baseband Member
Can someone tell me how data structures are actively used in games?

And my final project for the Data Strutures course would be a PC game. I plan to use C++. Anyone has any idea on what type of game can i make which has an active implementation of data structures?
i htought abt makin chess. but too boring, not to mention the AI....

Thanx in advance

I did a Connect Four game in C++ back in high school.
I only needed to use simple structures too like arrays and very small searches to look for vert, horiz, and diag wins!
The teacher's loved it. And, visually, its very simplistic.

i have to make a game for the Data Structure COURSE. I simple game won't do. Thanks anyway. give me more ideas iif u have

Must it be a simple word type game, or do you need to have graphics and other stuff. You could try make an airport simulation game, the player could be an air traffic controller and you steadily increase the number of planes to see how long he lasts. You could have sounds of distressed pilots and passengers to stress them out a bit or something.

hmmm... nice idea! graphics is not a necessity, but what game is complete without it? I plan to use the IRRLICHT engine for the graphics. And wat could be the roel of data structures in the game u mentioned. im not talking abt simple arrays. somethign better like trees and heshes....
more ideas would be welcomed...
thanx

i took a DS course in college. We covered linked lists, doubly linked lists, push/pop off stack, queues....that's pretty much all i remember, oh wait shit those ****ing binary trees, god i hated them.

How about a game of "Battleship!".. I made that game when I was in like Junior high I think.. Damn.. about 10 years ago. I used C++ for that.. My first "big" project in C++. Helped me learn quite a lot back then.. :D

A game of chess would be so cool though. I haven't made one, but one of my friends did. It's pretty cool. You'll learn a lot about AI as well.

Battleships? The game where you try to locate the positions of the computer's ships by firing at different locations on a grid map? Well, I have also considered it as an option. Actually chess and battleships are the only options i have . Thanks for the advice.
More would be appreciated

psyb0rg said:
Battleships? The game where you try to locate the positions of the computer's ships by firing at different locations on a grid map? Well, I have also considered it as an option. Actually chess and battleships are the only options i have . Thanks for the advice.
More would be appreciated

Yeah exactly! :).. When you design the AI, you can make it smart.. There lies the challenge. If you haven't done much AI, I would suggest Battleship over chess.. You can make the computer "smart" enough to find your ships without doing a random search or whatever.

It's easier than chess obviously in the sense that you don't have to take the "opponent's" future moves into consideration.. It's essentially a search problem where you have to keep track of your "hits" and "misses".

Of course, since this IS a data structures course, there's nothing as fundamental as designing a "database engine" :).. Something simple that will allow users to insert/update/find data.. But, since you want a game, I think Battleship! would work.:)

well, I chose chess. ive got 2 more guys on my team. we'' first start to implement a 2 player mode, so that we have atleast something to submit if time runs out (2 months). so any of you know any good online resources that can help, plzz let me know.
and thnaks to u guys for replying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom