Custom OS?

TheDrunk

In Runtime
How hard would it be, and how would one go about making there own custom OS

I have programming classes but thats it. I am not a good programer due to my miss typing a lot and misspelling. and of course the adhd kicks in and i make way to much of a mess....

But I am wondering how hard it is to make a OS, to create your own. able to have best of windows and unix yet be light weight..
I know there are some real code monkeys on this forum so i figure i would ask.

Extremely difficult.

I guess also depends exactly on what you mean by "custom". YOu can go out and download a Linux base's source code like debian, play around with the source code, and compile/build your "custom" Linux version.

If you mean your very own custom OS that's not based on Linux or Windows or anything (e.g. ReactOS that's been in Alpha for like 10 years now)...then good luck and I hope you're extremely knowledgeable in hardware addressing, resource allocation, thread management, etc.

Not to sound harsh or burst your bubble or anything, but if all you have is a few programming classes under your belt, you may want to look into just making applications and getting your skillset refined and improved.

That also said, if you want to try - go out and try. Going to take a ton of research however. Would be a better idea to start slow and at least rebuild the Linux kernel, and/or make some small tweaks.

I am not going to make one,
I have played with Linux, and like Mint and puppy... but i was just curious as to the time consuming, and what it would take to do a OS

Fair enough.

Like I mentioned above, if you want to poke around in an OS start out with Linux source code as there's tons of documentation / guides out there to get started.

if you wanted to poke around in something that's not Windows or Linux, check out ReactOS, because it's also an open source project.

where would I go to tweek windows 10 ? And what is a good place to start for tweeking linux? you now have me interested in this, at first i just wanted to basically know what it takes to create a OS but now.. with twqeeking involved, i think i might like to try my hands on Windows 10 and Linux...

where would I go to tweek windows 10 ? And what is a good place to start for tweeking linux? you now have me interested in this, at first i just wanted to basically know what it takes to create a OS but now.. with twqeeking involved, i think i might like to try my hands on Windows 10 and Linux...

Not as much you can tweak with Windows. There's utilities out there that were made to do so; don't remember their names off hand.

For tweaking Linux...just go pick a distribution (Ubuntu or Mint will probably be the easiest to learn off of since they're Debian based, as well as lots of documentation b/c they're popular), and download it's source code.

You might want to look into Stardock's Object Desktop software. Their software "tweaks" windows 10 heavily, new skins, new UI, file/folder organization optimization.

Not so much recommending the software to modify windows but if you're looking for some way to modify windows this software has so you may be able to reverse engineer the methods.

How pricey is stardock. sounds interesting, I use rainmeter for desktop customization but thats alll looks.
Once the move is ocmplete, I am going to start messing with Linux and seeing what i can really do once i learn all the tweeking.

There was a performance enhancing software for windows xp, vista, and 7 have used it but cant remembe rthe name. you can hit one button to delve in to performance which shut off windows features that took up cpu and ram and video usage. it was nice playing games and for other projects that needed mor epower.

Also is windows black ICE around anymore... the i think live linux clone of windows and windows set up?

Back
Top Bottom