Creating an Interactive Checklist

GreenPhins

Beta member
Hello all,

I want to create an interactive checklist that will print all required forms/documents depending on how the checklist is completed. I would like to add more depth to the app/program but for now I just need to figure out if what I want to accomplish is a DIY project (meaning learning basic coding and or downloading a simple app builder) or something that requires an actual programmer. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

First question would be - is this something you're wanting to be a web-based application, or an installable/executable on the local machine? Is this just a thing you're building for yourself, or for others?

What platform are you wanting to run this application on (also ties into the previous question of web vs executable)?

What languages do you already know, if any? What are you looking to learn?

First question would be - is this something you're wanting to be a web-based application, or an installable/executable on the local machine? Is this just a thing you're building for yourself, or for others?

What platform are you wanting to run this application on (also ties into the previous question of web vs executable)?

What languages do you already know, if any? What are you looking to learn?

My goal is to be able to use tablets (connected over a network) to complete an interview checklist. Here's a basic scenario:

An interviewer uses a tablet to complete an interview checklist with the interviewee, who would also use a tablet to view and complete/sign any forms in real-time. At the end of the interview, all completed/signed forms will print automatically.

Since the only language I once knew is C++, I'm guessing to achieve my goal would require more sophisticated skills. I would really love to have something like this. It seems my best option would be to hire a professional programmer or app builder. Any further advise to lead me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Ok, so it's across multiple devices.

Sounds like you're mostly wanting a workflow application built, yes? IMO, web-based would be easiest - rather than building an app specific for a device. Then it could work on whatever device you wanted whether it's mobile or a desktop - (iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.).

How large of an organization is this application for? Do you already have server infrastructure? Will the application only be used on-site, or need to be access off-site? Is the organization on a Windows-based Active Directory domain for the interviewers?

You'll need a server to host the data (in a database)/documents/the application.

If you do web, there's a lot of different languages to choose from. Some examples: .NET (Windows-server only), .NET Core (cross-platform), PHP (cross-platform), Node.js (cross-platform).

Either .NET option would be C#, which is kind of similar to C++, with client side stuff in HTML/JS/CSS.
PHP would be, well PHP + HTML/JS/CSS
Node.js would be HTML/JS/CSS.

Ok, so it's across multiple devices.

Sounds like you're mostly wanting a workflow application built, yes? IMO, web-based would be easiest - rather than building an app specific for a device. Then it could work on whatever device you wanted whether it's mobile or a desktop - (iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.).

How large of an organization is this application for? Do you already have server infrastructure? Will the application only be used on-site, or need to be access off-site? Is the organization on a Windows-based Active Directory domain for the interviewers?

You'll need a server to host the data (in a database)/documents/the application.

If you do web, there's a lot of different languages to choose from. Some examples: .NET (Windows-server only), .NET Core (cross-platform), PHP (cross-platform), Node.js (cross-platform).

Either .NET option would be C#, which is kind of similar to C++, with client side stuff in HTML/JS/CSS.
PHP would be, well PHP + HTML/JS/CSS
Node.js would be HTML/JS/CSS.

Yes, a workflow application is exactly what I'm looking for. If something like this already exists and can cater to my needs, then sign me up! Time to put my google skills to the test. Building this application on my own seems way out of my reach, especially after reading your insightful posts. Lets see how my search goes before I dive into doing this from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom