Computer programmers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyp32

Beta member
Is anyone here a computer programmer? (or computer software engineer)

could you share a little bit about your career and your experience in school

maybe what college you attended and how tough the entire course was
a brief summary of what i will learn or be able to do after i graduate will be very nice

please share as much as you can about your course in school and hopefully your job if you are already working

i plan on studying computer science and electronic engineering when i go to a university so i am very interested on the topic

Yep.

Well I did computing in college and I got an A but it's difficult now to think of what I actually got out of it beyond learning the basics. When I left college I got a job in a software company doing support. A year later I was moved into the development department where I have been for just over a year now.

a brief summary of what i will learn or be able to do after i graduate will be very nice

I doubt I can be of much use here since 1) I never did university level education 2) We probably live in different countries.

I attended Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, where I ultimately earned a Master's degree in computer science. Currently, I'm employed as a senior software developer.

I am a bit jaded when it comes to questions about academia -- especially computer science, but I'll try to restrain myself :). Much of what you study in your degree program is not directly applicable to industry. In time you'll find that there is a large disconnect between industry and academia, largely because their focus is different. I'll not go into detail about it, but if you're serious about becoming a software professional, read a few books by Robert Glass, like "Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering" and "Software Creativity 2.0". Those will provide you with some excellent perspective, though some of the content may not make much sense until you actually begin working in the field.

However, it's not all bad. The basic programming classes are very important (object-oriented programming, data structures and algorithms, and computer architecture). Classes on network programming and operating systems are also very informative and useful. Most high school students that post questions in this forum don't quite understand that when you attain your college degree, you have only scratched the surface of what you will learn once you land a job. The knowledge you acquire in your university studies forms a solid foundation on which you can build once you graduate.

One piece of advice I can give you is to do internships as early and often as possible. The sooner you get some hands-on, practical experience, the better. Not only does it get your foot in the door of a potential employer, but it also allows you to see what real developers do on a day-to-day basis. Don't take your summers off! Remember that when you graduate and begin looking for a job, there are a ton of other kids that just graduated with the same degree you have. What will help differentiate you is the experience you gained through your internships. Also, try to do research projects with professors outside of class. Don't be afraid to approach a professor who is conducting research in an area that interests you.

As for how tough the actual coursework is, it varies from class to class and often depends largely on the professor. Some classes you'll find very simple and some of the upper level classes can be quite difficult. As long as you're motivated to learn the material, you'll do fine.

As for what you'll be able to do after you graduate, you'll be able to enter industry as an entry-level developer. This is where the real fun and real learning begins. Keep in mind that when you finish college, you're not a finished product ready to take the software world by storm. You've simply attained a broad foundation on which to begin building a career. College is just a primer to get you ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom