Compatablility Quuestion of Sorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dapballdude

Beta member
Alright, i will admit that i am not as technically savvy as i would hope to be compared to most people out there, but i consider myself to be a competent computer user. While messing around with windows access i got to thinking about multiple external uses for the program, mainly using the forms function of the program. I was wondering if it was possible, without the use of possibly overly complicated scripting, to post a form to the internet which, upon completion would be sent to me in a from that would be operable by Access(that is i wouldn't have to reenter data) and then ideally, be merged into one usable file. Im also trying to think up a way to keep it independent as i wouldn't want people to be able to mess with eachothers entrys( this seems the only option at the moment, but im still working on solutions)

Any help would be awesome, me and one of my former teachers are working on this for a while now and haven't been able to think up anything thus far.

So you want to put a page on the internet with a form. The user would submit the form and the data would be loaded into an Access database on the server side? If that's what you are doing it should be no problem at all but I would suggest using a superior DBMS such as mySQL. This will involve some scripting (use PHP for this) but only a very minimal amount.
Please provide more details about what you want to achieve.

The plan is to use it to lighten my burden as guild analyst in my guild on Astro Empires(Astro Empires). There are 75ish people now and 8 or so categories that need to be filled and number crunched to compare . As you can imagine people come and go all the time. So i want to keep the data secret from all but a few(just so they can't see eachothers enteries) From there i just export to excel plop in some quick formulas and im done. It would be designed to save time for me, and whoever comes after me in the long run. What other details you looking for?

PS Thanks a ton for helping me out

I still don't quite understand but hopefully I can select the best solution for you based on a few questions.
1) Should the data be available over the internet?
2) should it be available to everyone or only authorised people?
3) does there need to be an input method for the data or will it be done automatically via an import of some kind?
4) if you need an input method does that need to be available over the internet?
5) should the data be private to the person or private to anyone who can log in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom