codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoonmeatloa

Solid State Member
Hi,
Can someone help me out with codes? Im still new to programming btw i am only 13 going into 8th grade, in highschool i plan on taking four years of computer science, digital media and electrical tech from Bergan tech, a private highschool. In there they teach java and php for three years. so my question is which codes should i learn before i go to high school? And also is Ada and dos released? Because i looked for them on google nothing poped up. BTW i learned both of them from my brother he was in the army and he said that they made him learn them.
Thanks,
Mike

so my question is which codes should i learn before i go to high school?
Quite frankly, it doesn't matter. Learn whatever interests you.

And also is Ada and dos released?
They are both quite old -- older than you, in fact.

but where should i start after C++ and vb
There is no order in which you should learn languages. Different people take different routes, and everyone has an opinion. However, there is no right or wrong answer.

Just learn what interests you. If you're interested mostly in C++, then it will take years to master. Programming languages are just tools. When you start learning a language, you can use it to learn other things (like network programming or embedded systems) and start working on projects.

At your age, you don't really need to worry so much about what language to learn. Just start applying what you know, and you'll learn quite a bit in the process.

Some people find that learning similar languages at the same time can be quite confusing. So if you are going to take PHP and HTML in High School... just start with that. Get a head start if you want. It can't hurt. Much of PHP is embeded in HTML so it makes sense to take them both at the same time (and they are totally different). If you want to go older and find the roots of where PHP came from, try C and Perl. C is just a great language to learn by itself anyway. There are so many languages that started with C binaries and are in a sense "built" off of C. Knowing Perl, or at least having worked with Perl many years ago helped me learn PHP a lot faster. But, it wasn't necessary knowledge.

In my opinion.... Don't overcomplicate the learning curve by trying to fill your head with too much stuff all at once, especially programming languages. You'll just end up mixing languages and getting sloppy results. Some people can handle multiple language learning ... some can't

I have to agree with jaeusm, you should learn what interests you.

Firstly you should decide what it is you want to gain from learning how to program and what goals you want to achieve. There is no point in just learning how to program for the sake of it, or because you think it'll get you a well paid job at the end.

Decide what it is you want to do with your programming knowledge, and once you decide that, choosing what language to learn will become a lot easier.

For example, if you want to write games, C/C++ is probably the language for you. If you want to get into the web design industry, then learn languages suited to those environments such as JavaScript, PHP, etc.

Decide what you want, before deciding how to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom