Choice of Programming Language

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanley

Beta member
Hi,

I am planning a new project to control a small thermal plant. The programme will be required to detect certain parameters and initiate some action. For example open a valve if a water level is too low. It will also be required to take actions depending on the time of day/ day of week and accept variable signals and compare them to a predetermined set point, the difference initiating some action. In time I intend to develop a simple user interface but that is stage 2.

The programme will be run on a pc probably using Windows 7. The pc will also run other programmes as I do not expect the new project to be a heavy drain on computing power.

Many years ago I used Fortran and in the 80s became very proficient with Basic. I also used to find small DOS programmes very useful. However since then my experience is minimal.

I wondered if anyone could offer some suggestions as to the best programming language to use for such an application. It is a small voluntary project and budget is VERY limited so I cannot afford anything too exotic. I am really looking forward to developing the programme.

Many thanks,

Stanley

Sounds like you are a windows guy so I would either recommend C#, or if you can get away with it PowerShell (almost like DOS programs). Python might also be a good choice because it can run on both Windows and Linux platforms. Either way sounds like you are going to have a bunch of fun.

Being a C++ programmer I tend always say that. However, having done some C# projects in Windows I would say if starting programming that its a much easier language to learn that C++. And using visual studio you can build GUI's etc very quick and easy. So I would 3rd C#

Hi guys,

Thanks you for sharing your valuable suggestion and thought,the most difficult language to learn that I know is C++. One of the weird things about C++ is that the language is so complex and flexible that you develop your own style and work mostly within a subset of the language. This is strikingly illustrated by the two Microsoft object libraries.

Thanks
Rayford kinney

Hi guys,

Thanks you for sharing your valuable suggestion and thought,the most difficult language to learn that I know is C++. One of the weird things about C++ is that the language is so complex and flexible that you develop your own style and work mostly within a subset of the language. This is strikingly illustrated by the two Microsoft object libraries.

Thanks
Rayford kinney

C++ isn't known for being flexible at all. It's one of the most unforgiving languages around.

If you plan to make a UI, and it's Windows based... I'd go with C#. C++ GUI is horrid and much harder to use. GUI and C# is so much simpler and smoother.

If you are doing this for a business, and don't want to purchase a license for Visual Studio (not sure if the Express edition allows use for business or not), I'd recommend checking out SharpDevelop: SharpDevelop @ic#code

Very close to Visual Studio's UI, and it's free/open source, but allows for commercial use.

If you plan to make a UI, and it's Windows based... I'd go with C#. C++ GUI is horrid and much harder to use. GUI and C# is so much simpler and smoother.

If you are doing this for a business, and don't want to purchase a license for Visual Studio (not sure if the Express edition allows use for business or not), I'd recommend checking out SharpDevelop: SharpDevelop @ic#code

Very close to Visual Studio's UI, and it's free/open source, but allows for commercial use.

Visual Studio Express Editions are allowed for commercial use. I strongly recommend to use them instead of sharp develop because their debuggers are quite better and their overall stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom