Checksum Verifier & Generator Utility

That was quick :D

Doing multiple alogrithms is really more on the list of almost-always-but-not-always-unnecessary feature.

Told ya those things were easy :p.

The multiple algorithm one will be a little more complex, as it will require a custom control (the way I'm wanting to do it), as well as refactoring code.

FYI, I've been using this for a forensics coursework today. It's the nicest Windows GUI checksummer I'm aware of :)

Good to hear, thanks! That's one of the reasons I made my own utility too..didn't really like the other Windows ones I had found/used before.

Managed to get some time to update this finally; got the multiple selectable algorithms working :D.

Updated to Version 3.0.0
* Added ability to select multiple algorithms at once
* Press "Delete" key to deselect all items, and "Shift+Delete" to select all items

Works well :)

Incidentally I also used it (well, screenshots) in a presentation in one of my forensics modules the other day too. I got asked "Has the tool you used to verify the checksums been vetted to ensure it is forensically sound?" and my answer was "Uhh... yes?" :p

Works well :)

Incidentally I also used it (well, screenshots) in a presentation in one of my forensics modules the other day too. I got asked "Has the tool you used to verify the checksums been vetted to ensure it is forensically sound?" and my answer was "Uhh... yes?" :p
Fantastic, glad to hear it works!

Well it's using the built-in .NET Cryptography library...so I'd assume it has been deemed forensically sound :p.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.security.cryptography(v=vs.110).aspx

The only ones that aren't in that library are the CRC16 and CRC32 algorithms, which I used from a library off of CodeProject (but they seem to work fine compared with other utilities that generate CRC16 and CRC32).

And you can see on Github:

Code:

MD5 md5Checksum = MD5.Create();
                using (FileStream fs = File.Open(filename, FileMode.Open))
                {
                    computedHash = FormatHashChecksum(md5Checksum.ComputeHash(fs));
                }//using  

private static string FormatHashChecksum(byte[] hashArray)
        {
            return BitConverter.ToString(hashArray).Replace("-", "").ToLower();
        }//FormatHashChecksum

:D good to hear it was useful for somebody besides myself lol.

Currently started re-writing the app in WPF so that I can make design changes easier later on if I wish.

I'm also trying to learn more on multithreading with the .NET BackgroundWorker and Task libraries to help speed up performance on large files and the more complex checksum algorithms (such as SHA-512).

Back
Top Bottom