CD Rom Virtualization

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancerman

Beta member
I'm trying to figure out how to make a certain program be CD independent(CD ROM Virtualization?). I'm making installer scripts for cd dependent programs and I can't seem to remove that dependency.

What I mean with CD Dependent Programs is that you install a certain program (like a game) and when you run the program from the HD installation, it requires you to have the CD in your CD ROM drive.

This happens mostly for games, and it could either be that the installation does not include huge files (videos, movies, etc) or that the EXE file still links to the CD ROM drive even if all the files from the CD were installed in the HD (a registry issue perhaps).

So I'm just wondering if anyone has a solution (preferably in NSIS) to eliminate this CD dependency (CD ROM Virtualization). I understand that you could "fool" the CD dependent program by copying the CD contents to the HD and saying that the CD is "in the hard drive". I hope to do that together with my NSIS scripts.

:confused:

You'd probably have to manually modify the executable or dll file that is calling the cdrom. If you're adept at Windbg and api hooking, you might be able to pull it off.

I downloaded Windbg but I don't really understand how to use it. Would you be kind enough to give me some tips on how to view the "API hooks" my EXE file have?

:confused:

Windbg and api hooking are not things you can pick up in a few days. However, if you want to pursue it, read the documentation (the large help file) that comes with Windbg to start. If you don't have much programming experience, you may have better luck looking for another alternative, as these topics are advanced and difficult for even experienced professional programmers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom