C++ VS Java for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
touche(spelling?!?)

I guess what I should have illustrated was the difference between Java and C++

Like our earlier discussion, you said Java bytecode was interpreted by the JVM. After C/C++ is compiled, it's pretty much processor instructions. If I understood correctly.

c++ is by far the fastest and best for programming a game. but if its just like a little game in a browser or something it really doesnt matter.

Thanks guys, i'll have to give C++ a shot soon and maybe pick up a book on it ;)

ewwwww.....Microsoft :p

Those SDK's will make your life easier. yesss.....course, I haven't messed with the directx yet....should be fun

SDK? Those are software developer kits right? But why would i need those?

They include the libraries to use directx when you use c++ for making games their made with openGL or directx.

When you install the directx SDK you can link to its libraries so can access all its 3d utilities. OpenGL can be a pain to install but i found this website with all its libraries:

http://www.swiftless.cdadc.com/tutorials/opengl/gldrivers.html

It also depends what version of visual studio you use, with 2005 I don't think the Microsoft SDK will be needed but anything earlier then you might need to install it. Also note there's bloodshed dev which is a c++ compiler and free which is good but I don't use that so you`ll have to google around for how to include libraries and use openGL.

Although to start of slow, do some command line games text based they don't require directx or openGL. Once you understand the basics move onto the graphical stuff. I started making command line RPG`s you know the type "you enter a room and see 2 doors which will you go through" option1: left option2:right etc etc :)

Any more, you can use or code anything with out an API or SDK. If you want to program in Java, you have to download the SDK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom