C++ versus Java

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaxter

Solid State Member
I've been learning Java but I don't know whether I want to learn Java or C++. I would like to see what other people think about the two. So which is better? Java or C++? Explain why you chose one over the other.

Java because it's used in the real-world extensively, whereas C++ never really took off. Also, cross-platform is fun now and then. Lastly, it's a lot easier to get things done in Java. ;)

Java because it's used in the real-world extensively, whereas C++ never really took off.
That couldn't be further from the truth. C++ was incredibly popular starting in the early/mid 1980's. Even most Windows programs have been written using C++ (including Windows itself, along with C and assembly). C++ has been the primary vehicle in leveraging the win32 api and MFC. Before .NET, nearly all serious Windows developers wrote software in C++. Think about all the Windows programs you've used in the past (and now), Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer, Visual Studio, FireFox, most video games, etc. There are countless programs (then and now) that have been written in C++. Also, C++ is still used for systems programming. However, while C++ is still used for many applications, languages like Java and C# are currently a bit more "popular" in terms of employment opportunities.

I didn't. You said C++ never really took off, which is false. That was my point.

Psh. Yeah, yeah... my poor choice in vocab. I should've said "C++ isn't hip with the man, anymore." ;)

Bitcomet FTW - was created with C++

Anywho, as far as aesthetics, I think C++ makes more sense as opposed to java and it also looks like more fun. Ive recently started learning it so my initial likeing towards it may or may not stick.

C++ has much more power for creating a wide range of applications. But java has the nice option that you can compile it to be platform unspecific if i remember correctly. if you are into messing with linux dev or making video games or your own windows apps C++, if you want to make things that are more net centric go with java.

I've been learning Java but I don't know whether I want to learn Java or C++. I would like to see what other people think about the two. So which is better? Java or C++? Explain why you chose one over the other.
Well I been learning C++ for a year now. It seems ok- as someone said here its good to learn. Java is good too- my opinion- learn both if you can.

Well I been learning C++ for a year now. It seems ok- as someone said here its good to learn. Java is good too- my opinion- learn both if you can.
To be absolutely honest, yeah, you're right: learn both. Learn them all...:rolleyes: Java and C++ have a lot of similarities and are both worth playing with. Anything I said above was meant to entail the idea that Java is used more widely in the job world, and is a bit easier to start with. I have used C++ a bit on my own, and you can get a lot more done with it since you're working directly on the OS (versus the JVM), but you do have the extra effort in that respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom