c++ question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ac3ofsk13s

Solid State Member
im new to programming and i was wonderinf if it is possible for me to start off with the c language or would you suggest somethnig else

Yup, you sure can. I did a little bit work with QBASIC when I started programming, but honestly, it didn't really matter. My "2nd" language was C. But, I might have as well started with that one. It's really easy to pick-up and make simple programs with.

Of course, C is a very advanced language, but the basics are simple. You can learn at your own pace :).. Just to clarify, I think you should start with "C" first and then do "C++" after. Pick up an old "C" book from the local book store. I am sure they are really cheap.

Well, that way you won't get dragged into any discussion about Object Oriented Programming. Even if they "divide" the book into 2 sections (pre-OO and OO), it's bound to be talked about "at least a little bit".. I suggested C first b/c then that will never happen.

Plus, I find that "C" books are good at "teaching C" than C++ books. Those books put a lot of emphasis on the fundamental. Which is nice.

In an ideal world with all the time that you need I would learn C then C++ or Java, this would give you a great programming base. I normally write in Java now because the same program can run on different platforms eg. Windows/UNIX/linux etc. It is tempting to ask what sort of programs you want to write, this would make it easier to suggest a language, but if you are starting out then you probably won't know enough to answer. That's why C or atleast the basic concepts from C are worth learning first. They will stand you on good ground for most other languages anyway, especially C++ and/or Java. Hope this helps.

duncan said:
In an ideal world with all the time that you need I would learn C then C++ or Java, this would give you a great programming base. I normally write in Java now because the same program can run on different platforms eg. Windows/UNIX/linux etc. It is tempting to ask what sort of programs you want to write, this would make it easier to suggest a language, but if you are starting out then you probably won't know enough to answer. That's why C or atleast the basic concepts from C are worth learning first. They will stand you on good ground for most other languages anyway, especially C++ and/or Java. Hope this helps.

when you said you can run java from different platform, how can you do it? in my class(high school) they only teach us how to program and nothing else. we use jcreator with the jdk kit; after compilation there well be a .class file produced, but how can i use it?? if i just take the .class for example it's a game, and will i be able to take it to my friend's house and run it?? I just thought that the worse thing able java was that it had this restriction(it seems to me it only can run while you PRESS the compile buttom from Jcreator, and no other way else) but obviously i am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom