C i need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been programming for about 7 years and CS in college is very easy for me because i've already learnt most of the stuff. People in my class talked about CS1A being the most difficult class they have ever taken. I nearly went insane because it was too easy, newbies can't learn fast.

This guy also has to learn his other subjects so he definitely needs to stay on track and if he has spare time he can explore C in more detail. I am sure he has not gone over the STL yet so he needs to understand how things work before he can use the STL.

I learned this stuff in my high school programming classes, so its not really super difficult. AP Computer Science deals with this kind of stuff pretty extensively, but I dealt with it in Intro to C Programming.

If he's in a CS degree program at a university, he's going to be expected to pick it up much faster than a high school course.

I've been programming for 10 years or so, and I am finishing up my final semester (5th year) in my BS in Computer Science. I never was forced to take a language course in college, it was just expected that you already knew it. If I had to wait to do all that stuff before I took my core classes, I'd never finish even a semester late like I'm doing now.

People who think CS1 classes are hard and who are majoring in CS should probably think about a degree change. I can tell you that only 20% of people who declare CS at my university actually graduate as such. The courses thin out, from CS1 at 300+ students, to senior level classes at 25 or so students each.

How far are you in your CS education?

first year.........first sem.......they are takin it slow........this sem is c(an intro) and next sem is c++ an intro.......after which i take more detailed stuff.....we have touched structures.....and functions......and like gaboon says....a lot of jargon......yes its going to take me time......if i understand it nothin like it, if i dont, they are certian to do it in future sems, so i do it again! nice to walk into something knowing what they are trying to say........

I'm in my third year majoring in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, kind of minoring in CS. I think the people complaining about CS1A were chem majors or something.:) It was weird because every succesive class i took had fewer students, my current one has about 6.

I was lucky that i had CS in high school, only in South Africa though, then i came to America and all they had was computer art. The students in my current class are mostly CS majors but i am the only one who has turned in the homework. So i hope they are just lazy and will turn in something soon. My professor keeps on complaining but they never listen.

TheHeadFL you should go to topcoder.com and join up, i've been a member there a while but i haven't competed yet. I mostly mess around in the practice rooms, i'll enter the SRM's when i can solve the division I 1000 pt problems faster. Some of them are rather tricky.

I was looking at certain majors, all engineers have to take some CS classes. I think it is a good thing because computers do a lot of the work and that will only increase.

TopCoder is a website where you compete against other coders, most of them students in SRM's(single round matches), big events like the TopCoder open, TopCoder Collegiate Challenge and other private events like the Google Codejam.

You will start off as a divison 2 coder and will have i think 1 hour 30 min to solve 3 problems. First is an easy 250 pt, then 500 and then 1000. After you have reached a certain rating you will move up to division 1, here the problems are more difficult.

In a competition there is a coding phase, a challenge phase and then the system tests. You can get big points if you challenge a persons solution, they lose points in the process as well, so will you if your challenge fails.

It's a great place to get help as well and practice as much as you want. Some of the red coders, the big gunners, are graduate students so you can always exspect a good answer. You can make money as well, cash prizes.

try this

after learning linked list
try to
reverse a linked list
with and without recursion.
it will b challenging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom