C++ Beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew131213

Solid State Member
I'm just starting to program in C++, and I'm finding that the more I practice the harder
it gets. (You're all saying DUH) But does anyone have any tips from when they were
starting with a language? (Preferably from the C or C++ language). Thanks.

(I also script in HTML and XHTML and I'm finding that switching back and forth is
nerve racking :freak: lol)

Wow, you picked a tough one, is that your first language that you have attempted ? I doubt it, but if so you are a brave person ;) There are some regulars who might be able to help, my experience is with other languages.

This is supposed to be a good tutorial site for C++ according to people who do use the language, if you don't already have this link :

C++ Language Tutorial

Though I am sure you are right - and I assume you are as I don't have C++ experience and have not frequented that site much - I can't let this go by not adding that our own Tech Forums code gurus do a great job and are extremely helpful as well. They helped me out a bunch of times. :cool:

I'd be glad to offer any assistance as well.(Don't let my status on this site fool you)

I'm looking to start in on C++, but I have issues with compilers being more for larger projects with multiple documents, eg. IDE's, when all I'm looking to do is print bloody "Hello World" on the screen. Anyone got some advice as to a very basic compiler or places to start.

Honestly the easiest way to just put hello world on the screen is off the command line (but start with C it's a much nicer language). Download mingw and use
gcc -Wall hello_world.c -o HelloWorld.exe

I forget how mingw is packaged these days so if it is a zip you will have to extract this and then modify your path environment variable. This can be done through control panel -> system -> advanced -> environment variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom