Book for complete beginner C++

CJxShoTz

Baseband Member
Looking to learn C++ I have zero programming experience, I don't know C, I don't know any terminology. What book should I buy?

When I taught C++, I taught from the first edition of this book, which is now in its 3rd edition. I found that it was super easy to follow and had good examples.

I also like the site cplusplus.com. It is a bit old, but it is a good reference once you get practice with C++. It also has tutorials there.

Lastly, if you like a more instructional take, I like the courses at plursight.com best. It does cost to join, but there are so many great videos there. I like that they also teach best practices along with many of their tutorials. Another great thing is that in some cases, you will be walked through the creation of an entire application from beginning to end. You also get to learn about different IDEs and technologies that supplement your learning well.

As always though, check out the books at your local bookstore or library and read the first chapter to see if it is something that you can get into. We all learn a little differently, so it is best to find the style that works best for you! For instance, I can't read any of those "for dummies" books, so I end up feeling like a dummy for real :(.

Back
Top Bottom