Best programming language for things around the house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLacKouT

Beta member
can someone please tell me what programming languages I could
use to build things like tv's, dvd players, webcams, modems, etc.:confused:

I have to agree... if you're into building these things, then you would definitely know the answer to this!

If you want to build those kind of things, you probably want to think about starting off a little smaller, using really any language. just to get an idea of the concept of programming.

After that try getting a bit more advanced, e.g. programming a dvd player :)
recommended language to learn: like cvb724 said C++ is pretty good.

Not for things around the house Ric0h. Things around the web yes. Java isn't supported as much and doesn't have the power of C++. Even though both are object oriented.

Eh? Java is supported more than C++. Java can run on pretty much any platform, C++ can only run on Windows.

Java isn't supported as much and doesn't have the power of C++.
Java has quite a bit of support, as JVM's exist for nearly every platform. As for matching the "power" of C++, that just depends on your perspective. For instance, Java includes its own threading model and networking library. C++ does not.

C++ can only run on Windows.
C++ compilers have been written to target many platforms, not just Windows.

The answer to the original question is that any language supported by a specific platform can be used to program devices. If your device is using an Ajile Systems processor (which natively executes Java bytecode, eliminating the need for a VM), you can code it in Java. Maybe the processor supports a proprietary language. Whatever the platform, it should have a corresponding development kit (compiler, build environment, etc.) that should be used.

Why are you guys still posting to a dead thread that was created two months ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom