best game programming language

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoerb

Baseband Member
I was wondering what languages people think are good for game programming and graphics. I know c/c++ is the big one, but what about others like delphi (heard about game programming in delphi, but dont know if its good)? Or if you have other languages you think are good, please talk about those. thanks.

i really don't know much about programming languages, but i just found out the other day that the best game ever (that is, Halo) was written in C/C++, so i would guess that it's not a bad language for games.

Actually dude, I hope this is of some help. C/C++ IS the big one, mostly just C++ though.

I assume you haven't heard of www.darkbasic.com? You should check it out, it's a version of BASIC made specifically for programming 3-d games. It's really cool.

I'm learning it now, it's pretty simple if you have a working knowledge of Basic or Qbasic. Which i also play around with.

c++ is the big one...however, funny part is, some versions of C are being developed using delphi.... hmmmm
(dev-c++ is on developed with delphi...)
http://bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html at the bottom it gives links to the source for delphi... :)
I only know C++ for game programming..just thought i would toss this thought in...hehe

Basically, for the Graphics, OpenGl plays an important part. I say that especially for games on PC.

As a majority, most games are programmed using the C brothers

Yeah C or C++. But it kinda depends on the game. If you want to build a web based (or fairly small) game, Java might be the way to go. If you want to build a text based game, *basic or perl might be better. But normally a very large, resource heavy game will be programmed with C/C++ along with a few others (such as asm). Though there has been some games (commercial) known to have some bits written partly in java (my favorite :D ), perl, and a few others not normally seen in that world.

Another thing to keep in mind is the toolkits for your world maps, etc... If you find a package that you want to use, your language would hafta speak to it..

tylertherobot said:
Actually dude, I hope this is of some help. C/C++ IS the big one, mostly just C++ though.

I assume you haven't heard of www.darkbasic.com? You should check it out, it's a version of BASIC made specifically for programming 3-d games. It's really cool.

I'm learning it now, it's pretty simple if you have a working knowledge of Basic or Qbasic. Which i also play around with.

pff! BASIC??? C++ is better :D its bstter to learn C++, its a whole lot better and its not that hard to learn... Personally, ive used basic b4, but i grew tired of it when i reached its limits (which i did), so now im a C++er

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom