Beginner Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

XI_xtasy_ix

In Runtime
Ive been wanting to learn how to program for a while and it was suggested that I start with HTML and learn how to make websites and move on from there. I've been using http://w3schools.com/. I was wondering if HTML was a good place to start and if it is where to go after I get the hang of HTML?

I am aiming to learn everything I can. I want to learn how to make websites, but I also want to learn how to make programs and databases and other things as well.

From my experience.. I would recommend starting with bash shell scripting. It's very simple to pick up and isn't a programming language per se, but it's powerful and above all practical :tongue:

bash = Bourne again shell, the standard Linux terminal. What I'm talking about is sort of like Windows .batch files. It really helps you learn Linux / Unix on a deeper level, which is valuable knowledge as well.

Probably the easiest way (aside from a full Linux installation) is running any Linux distribution in something like VirtualBox. I'm familiar with the Ubuntu and Slackware terminals more than anything. There are different package isntallers [yum package installer on Fedora vs. apt-get on Ubuntu, etc etc] and a few different commands, but for the most part nearly every Linux-based OS runs the exact same.

Examples of such commands:
chmod
sudo
su
ls
cd
grep
find
and hundreds of thousands more :tongue:
You'll find yourself getting used to a command line text editor called VIM (I think you have to install it on Ubuntu... Either that or there isn't a vi / vim alias. I'm pretty sure you can type in "vi" and get vim. If not, "sudo apt-get install vim" will install it.

Ahhh ok.
I have played with those, I have installed Linux on machines various times, want to have my main on Linux (but I game too much) etc. Was just wondering if there was like a book or something to get more familiar with it, because I have played with the basic ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom