Assembly Lanuguage

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroShade

In Runtime
I have recently done a little bit of research on assembly language and wish to learn more of it. But I have two questions... first... is there a compiler or some type of environment for assembly?... second... what is the most up to date, current book out there on assembly language for dos and linux... or relating to it? I prefer to have my own book rather then using online tutorials... the book is easier to look at. Thanks!!

Assembly language is specific to the processor. In other words, each processor has its own instruction set. For instance, a Motorola 68K processor has a different instruction set than an Intel Pentium.

what is the most up to date, current book out there on assembly language for dos and linux
As I mentioned above, assembly is specific to the processor, not the operating system. Typically, you learn assembly as you're learning computer architecture since they go hand-in-hand. In addition, you'll struggle to understand assembly without an understanding of the processor's architecture. One of the more popular introductory books to computer architecture (and assembly) is "Computer Organization and Design" by Patterson and Hennessy.

I was in the same situation a few months ago, and I found Flat Assembler to be a wonderful assembler with a great community behind it.

There is a ton of documentation on their website as well. I think it's the best place to start.

Buy a microprocessor (you can get a decent one for $20), a breadboard, and download a simulator (usually for free) -- to get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom