Thinking About Folding

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzmxer608

Fully Optimized
Your promotion has worked guys ;). I'm starting to think about maybe folding for the TF team. I have a few questions though. Do you need to have your computer on 24/7 to fold, or can it just be used whenever you have the computer on? I just don't want to keep the PC on 24/7. Does it run in the background or is there a "mode" that you can have it use all available resources too? Does it run ok with Win7?

YAY! recruits! lol

1. No you don't need to have your PC on 24/7, however there IS a deadline for all work units. So long as you use your PC often enough you should be fine.

2. It runs in the background using any idle cycles to work.

3. Yes it runs fine with win7

You dont have to fold 24/7. You can just have it run while you have the PC on. It has a tray icon that you see to let you know it is working, but other than that you dont see much of it as it does run in the background.

It runs fine in Win7. I am running it on Win7 64 Bit right now. Using the GPU folding on my 8800GTS.

The 2 main things to remember:

1. Turn it off if you are going to game.
2. Use F@HMon to check the status of the WU. They have a preferred time date for completion. If a WU is not completed in that time it is basically lost from what i know. So try to make sure that you have the machine on long enough to finish the WU you had started.

Most WU have several days for a final deadline though. so it shouldnt be to hard to complete the WU in that time frame. It all depends on the WU being folded at the time. Right now my WU has a preferred deadline in 2 days but a final deadline in 5 days. I will be done with it in just under 3 hours. So there is plenty of time to get a Wu done if you dont fold 24/7.

Ok thanks guys. I'll have to read up a bit more on how it all works have a go at it. Only problem is if I go on vacation or am unable to get on the PC for a while. Normally it isn't longer than 5 days though so I think I should be ok.

I can say that i know i have missed quite a few deadlines in the past. System issues with reinstalls, CPU just couldnt fold the unit fast enough, having to shut down to troubleshoot GPU issues for several days. It happens. So there is no punishment for not finishing a WU. It is just better to finish it if you can. ;)

Me as well. But then again I'm kind of addicted :p

I bought a whole separate rig for folding lol

If I had the money I would build a Folding rig or three. i don't so I ain't. :(

I was pretty lucky with mine. Picked up the proc, ram, psu for $70, mobo for $40, gpu for $50 and the other stuff i had lying around :)

$150 for ~10kppd (when i finally get it up..) aint bad :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom