Is their another way to f@h?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
I'm thinking not so much as clusterd computing, as I think its not possible due to the Network Speeds and how slow it would run over. But I'm woundering if their is a way without going and bying a Stystem for £2000 + to get the Best out the PPD and WU from the systems I have at the Minute. At the minute I'm running one Client Per Michine, with the HFM.NET App for a average idea for PPD. What can I do to get the Best from the Systems I have.

Ideas Welcome.

Not really. gpus are the quick n dirty way, 1 560ti does like 18k ppd and consumes bout 250W, where as an i7 2600k will do 30-40k ppd at about the same Wattage

Until they developed the big advance units, gpu was the bread n butter of ppd.

Not really. gpus are the quick n dirty way, 1 560ti does like 18k ppd and consumes bout 250W, where as an i7 2600k will do 30-40k ppd at about the same Wattage

Until they developed the big advance units, gpu was the bread n butter of ppd.

What do you mean Patton, "GPU was the bread and butter." When you say the big advanced units, what are we talking about in the way of acutally desighning a new system arcitecure from scrach? In the way of GPU & CPU power inc: Speeds.

BAU are not speedy. They are hard core SMP style units that can take a CPU days to fold. But they are worth big points, to those who care.

You are going about this all wrong and have the wrong mindset to fold. Folding isnt about getting the most PPD or getting the most work units done. It is the point of getting them done, period. Folding helps to cure cancer and other human disease that has eluded us for a long time. It shouldnt matter what amount of PPD or WU you get done, as long as you are contributing.

The whole points aspect and PPD is something that people have put together to turn this into a competition. Taking something that has very good meaning behind it and turning it into something that they can brag about.

Yeah we have our folders, yeah we have our signature tags. But I bet you ask them why they do it, they will tell you they want to help the cause, not cause they want to be top of some list that is only created to make competitions out of folding. Its not like we are trying to be the top site, its not like we are building folding farms so we can boost our e-peen bragging that we can fold X amount in a day. The fact is people should be proud to have folding even 1 WU. The PPD and other aspects shouldnt even be considered when folding, as long as you are folding.

PPD is a bit more than an e-penis. Its a approximate value of scientific work. The next psrt of ppd is the return speed.

In folding, the next wu is not ready in advance, each unit builds off the last, so the faster they get back the info the more useful it is to them.

GPUs process very quick, but kind of small an not complicated work. 1350pts/wu 0 return bonus, takes about 2-3hrs on mid level equipment (gtx560ti)

CPU a4 and a3 units calculate larger and more complicated work. 552pt/wu 3hrs to do, bumping it to 4600pts/wu for 22k ppd (i7 @4.0ghz)

Now bigadv wu are huge, very complicated wu, in molecules and trajectorys, 22706pts/wu takes my system 3 days for 250k pts or 78k ppd.

Each have very specific uses to f@h, and each rely on each other. i.e.
gpu's do the quick n dirty work, can be reletively inexpensive to purchase, but add heat and increased power to a system.
cpus do the lets see how things work work. Cost isn't bad, but means you might have more upgrades... more power freindly.
bigadv units require server gear, they do very specific work that take alot of cpu power. High priced, but are fairly power efficient, nd when calculating watts/ppd its the optimum.

As you see everything is needed, and some equipment currently just doing one type of illness.

So as i rambled, doing anything is helpful, being able to spend money to do more is fantastic, but f@h is still Folding At Home, so doing what you can is the most important thing.

PPD is still PPD. As long as the units get folded and completed, then the amount of PPD your system can turn out doesnt make a difference. In the end the WU still gets done, the research is still done and that is what matters.

You know as well as I do that people have taken this aspect away from the whole F@H project and turned it into a e-penis competition. Cause everyone only looks at how many points X person gets and what PPD they get and they try to top them. Very few people fold with low PPD just cause it contributes. My first 100-150 WU were completed on a P4 folding 1 unit every couple of days. did that stop me? No. Was I at the top of the PPD or Points cycle? No. Did I get discouraged cause I couldnt match up to you, PRVRT, JFen or anyone else that was getting over 100K a day? No.

So while a high PPD may mean that your system can handle and fold more proteins, that doesnt mean that people should only aim to get a high PPD to fold. We lost how many of our members cause that is all they cared about. Those charts that Burn used to post about the top 5 folders only centered around this whole idea. It was a competition among the members to see who could churn out more.

I am merely stating that Spud shouldnt concentrate on trying to get the most PPD bang from his system. Anything done helps. Shouldnt worry about trying to go bigger and badder just to make it to the top 10 of TF's Folding list. Just to be on the list should be an honor in and of itself. The whole aspect behind folding is being lost to numbers and points that take away from the real goal, trying to find answers to problems that have plagued humans for far to long.

Yes KSoD your rite, absolutly. I shouldnt be focusing on the PPD, and more on the WU for the simple reason I should contribute because I want to join the comunity and not brag about e-penis for the sake of helping those who are suffering from the likes of Cancer, Alzimers, and parkinsons. As I sit here I can tell you if Protine Folding helps the likes of Schizophrenia, and Paranoid induced Illnesses, them I'm in reguardless of PPD, and WU. As Im a sufferer of Paranoid Schizophrenia. And its absolutly hell tbh imo. I just wanted a Rough Idea patton about what it would take and what equipmet was out their that you could F@h on. I do alot of Reading on the Net and tend not to get out much, so I'm still learning alot about f@h.

I am gonna check to see if f@h contributes to the curement of Paranoid Schitzophrenia. A quick google search has not brought anything up now.

Also not the best time to mention it but I've just started folding on an 8800GT, and Q6600 Quad Core. I'm haveing to run the Console version of the CPU Client, and I'm running the Installer version of the GPU Client, and its allready returned 5000PPD. Like I say its not the best time to mention it, after asking about E-e-penis and PPD, but just to upadte you gyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom