Starting to Fold - Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spit-wad

Bake a Pretty Cake!
I'm gonna fold on the system listed in my sig and my PS3 (once I get it hooked up to the internet).

I may just be missing something, but am I supposed to be running 2 different clients?

I downloaded and right now I'm running the one called Folding@home-x86, but I read this thread that says GPUs are supported also:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f109/folding-home-f-h-nvidia-ati-gpu-s-now-supported-180871/

So am I supposed to be running a second GPU client to maximize my folding?
I downloaded the three drivers, but when I installed the client and ran it, it said that client beta version is expired, and I can't seem to find a newer version or anything that I'm supposed to run. On the official website, every guide just has the x86 one.

Halp!

Also how often does the site with statistics get updated? I wanna make sure mine is working...

And when I'm running a game or something intensive, the folding client(s) automatically use less system resources or w/e they need to do to not affect my stuff, right?

Thanks!

I still need to update those links, but this is the most current build of the GPU client.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/Folding@home-Win32-GPU-systray-623.msi

Ditch the cpu client, its way slower. Just run this alone, when you game just right click on the icon and pause it. Once your done gaming, resume the client.

You can also use smp, which takes advantage of multi-core cpu's but thats more advanced, lets get you setup with the basics for now.

Theres several stats pages you can use, the official which updates on a regular basis and the third-party stats sites, my personal favorite is this one:

Tech-Forums - Team Summary - EXTREME Overclocking Folding @ Home Stats

It displays the same info that is in our sigs. You wont show up in the list until you have completed a work unit and uploaded it to the servers.

Here is the main page:
Folding@home

so i got it up and running n everything, and i got a problem lol

i use Ventrilo a LOT

and when i have the folding client running, my microphone makes a high pitched screech in the background

any idea why? fixes?!? i'm not really gonna be able to use this if i don't get this fixed...

Edit: Not to mention my computer just locked up for the first time ever.

even when i click pause the sound continues tho... :(

actually im not sure pause is working... after i pause, there's no resume or anything... still has pause

not sure i understand why my sound input would change cuz of my gpu, but ill believe u

Odd,

Wonder if your sound is due to unsheilded wires.. Folding Forum • Index page is the tech support site.

Just to double check, pause changes to resume, but theres 2 pauses... Pause after work unit, and pause right away.

When it locked, did you just close a game, or graphics program? I have that every so often.

Hope we can solve this, you might also want5 to manually set your fan to 70% ish using rivatuner.

When it locked up, I had just opened the 'display' from the client... not too worried about that, as I can just never open it again.

And yes, I have those 2 pauses you said, but when I click pause right away, I don't think it actually pauses because it doesn't switch to resume. If I can get it to pause correctly, and it doesn't ruin my microphone when it's paused, I could use it... but it's gonna be paused like 10 hours a day, so I hope we can fix the sound problem as well.

I'd really like to do my share and start folding, so I hope we can get this working... I'll make a post on their support forums as well.

And are you talking about the fan for my video card? When I got the card, I downloaded eVGA's program for changing fan speeds... I have profiles already set for 30/60/100%, but I usually have it on 60%.

And I'm gonna work on gettin my PS3 online... need to buy a switch first tho :/

Yha, nevver use the display, d/l fahmon to monitor the progress.

I'd try reinstalling it. Also try updating all drivers.

Just to let you know, folding some units heats my card to 80C even at 73% fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom