Sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if you can during the summer, save the money up and purchase a good cpu under 125.00
I also recommend a different board, as that will be a key factor with making things less stressfull for you and the processor when everything is new or currently updated.

AM2+ mobo with newer am3 cpu's spells trouble these days for that type of combo.

Not that I am aware of. My wife's and her mom's computers are both AM2+ boards running AM3 CPUs. As long as the BIOS is updated to handle the chips then everything will run just fine.

What mobo are you running, c0rr0sive?

Hmmm... an OEM X4 630 is running $84 on NewEgg. While not on the list it should be equal to the X4 925, and is a 95W chip.

Trotter, let me ask you something, would it be best if he holds for the next 2 months and watch newegg.com and another site to see who will start to make temporary price cuts on cpu's ?

If I am right, I think newegg, will start to drop the price more frequently at the beginning and the end of month during the summer.
Last time I received a email from them, they had dropped the 1055t and 1075T by 50% for only 24-48 hours.

I had almost gave in bought a new hexa-core but I am sticking with intel 1156 and getting a core i7 860 when someone brings it down near 200.00 for just a brief moment.

I like your link trotter, but he could do much more better than that.
I love you like a brother and all but this is one of those moments where I have to disagree with you on that one.

I know c0rr0sive's money situation, hence why I am looking at the cheapest quads. I don't mind being disagreed with... I've been married for almost 25 years. ;)

c0rr0sive,

I have a very similar mobo. I have the Biostar 785 and I can say from experience that running an AM3 chip in there will not cause you any grief. Right now I have the Phenom II X4 940 in there and this thing is a beast.

@Mike,

while you do make some good points, the end factor comes down to this. Does he really need that type of computer? It makes no sense for him to save money and get a new mobo, CPU and RAM when just getting a new AM2+ or AM3 CPU will be more than sufficient for him. He can get an energy efficient AMD CPU that will work with his current setup and save himself money in the long run. I would think that would be a better route for him to take than spending more money than he has to when he is currently in financial trouble as it is.

Think about it, he can go to Quad Core and spend $85 or spend twice the amount and just get a triple core like you suggested. What seems to sound like the better end result? The tri core or the quad core? Personally I would choose the quad core that runs with my current mobo and RAM over spending extra to get a tri core, mobo and RAM. It just makes more sense.

In the end c0rr0sive has to do what is right for him. Be it saving money to get a whole new setup or just replacing his power hungry CPU for a less power hungry CPU and getting more performance out of it.

Well I am taking a forced break. Not cause of heat or electricity but cause my PC is acting up. For some reason when I am within Windows it will not go into sleep mode anymore. Even with F@H off. It looks like I will be doing a reinstall soon.

Until then I have been exploring Ubuntu. If I could figure out how to get it working right I would continue. But haven't had time to research it yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom