Setting up SMP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it has evened out now (I posted in the other thread). It still shows notfred2360 as the username for the Wu, though. :s

Let me ask this. Is it better to run SMP or notfred?

notfreds. it runs linux and the linux core is a lot more optimized than the windows one because of how long its been around

i'd give notfreds a try :)

A 2 core linux setup, either fred or native linux or vm linux setup, will net you roughly the same pts as a 4 core windows setup.

You can setup a vmware ubuntu 8.04 setup and run fah like that too. But that involves knowing some linux, and more disk space.

The VM does have issues. Power outages are hard on folding and the backups, theres no way to really backup the work folder easily, so as trotter just found out, you can lose a wu easily.

Well i can setup a VM of Linux easily. That isnt a issue. Was jsut trying to find out what is more productive. As soon as this WU is done with SMP i will get the VM going.

Yhsa, the linux OS by nature runs more efficient supposively, and the core runs that much better.

Notfreds is the simplest, and using ubuntu 8.04 is the most effiecent linux OS, and you can set it up to run back ups to save against power outages.

Well the last power outage we had here was Thanksgiving 2 years ago when the power wire fell in my back yard. So i am not to worried about needing a backup going.

I can use either the Notfred like Burn suggested or go directly with a VM of Ubuntu. It doenst bother me either way. I just want the one that will get me the most production. I am not even worried about the points or PPD. I just want the one that will get the most work done.

Notfred seems to be doing just fine. I wish I had something more powerful to run it on, but I'll make due with it. The only real rough part of it was downloading VMPlayer (because of the way the registration works with VMWare). If/when I get a CPU for my upgrade I will be in a better shape to get more done.

Well i have 10 hours till this WU is done. After that i will look into setting up notfred for a WU and see how that does. I will then do a straight up VM of Ubuntu and see how that does and make the determination from there. Most likely i will just go with the notfred as it seems to be the simpliest method. Doesnt require me to install Ubuntu first. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom