PPD graphics card question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Press_Corpse

In Runtime
Hey folks,

Ive been slowly looking at ways to increase my ppd to help the team. I even looked into building an HTPC to store junk on and holding my 2500k in while upgrading my main rig to a 2700k or an ivy bridge chip when they come out. However, I received an email from Newegg this morning stating that they have an EVGA 550 ti on sale with a promo code and MIR for 115. Is this a worthwhile investment? Is it any better than my 5770? I was considering getting the new 7xxx series card in the next few weeks. Sorry if I am kind of bouncing around.

Question : Is it worth getting a 550 ti if I am considering getting a new generation card in the near future and if this 550 ti will fold better than my current 5770?

ps- Completely jealous of all these folks i see with 2+ socket server rigs just dedicated to folding. Awesome stuff. Eventually once I get a house I want to setup a rack and have a few computers running nonstop.

A 550ti will get 10-15K I believe. My 560ti gets 12-18k ppd.

The one thing to remember is gpu folding is abit inefficient, so expect power consumption to be higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom