It's been 7 years since I've touched nvidia card and this one is going to work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RockMan-

Banned
As the title says I have not touched a nvidia card for seven years straight.
It wasn't because of fanboy crap or anything like that but I prefer ATI card over nvidia.
The reason why I picked up this one with the help of mguire and someone else at another forum folding will never come true for ati 4000 or 5000 series.
The ATI cards are quite good and they got the muscle to do the work, but like standford said on their forum numerous times they don't have enough data, testers and time to fully support ATI. :(

Since I was on a low budget and my limit was set at 70.00 I found Galaxy GT430 1024GDDR3.
People have said it's a great little card and doesn't do a big drain on the electricity bill which is good in my terms.
Plus the card is good folder ? well after smacking my pc around bit with the ram issue for 3 hours straight I gave up on it, and put the card in.
My folding@GPU which was already installed and had forgotten about it, renabled itself and detected the new card after drivers and downloaded F@H15 core ??
Will see what happens later on during the day but I wanted to let you all know that while I test it.
Here is some pics of the card before it got installed in hour ago.

dsc00287.jpg

dsc00288l.jpg

dsc00289x.jpg

dsc00290ki.jpg

@I sure will yzmxer things are still abit quirky from last night but I deal with it later today.

@Paton:If you see any points or details pop up in my folding stats don't post them up yet.
I'll take care of that information at 4pm est along with a small review once I am done seing how it performs.

But I like spoiling fun!

Currently the 430, with 92sp, fold like a 260 with 216sp! **** fermis!

You really should redo your f@h install....... But not to sure on gpu3.

Ok it's about 5pm here in augusta ga, I have stopped my smp client after 1:10pm after it was through with it's workload.
When testing the GT430 in some media apps I use such as windvr 3.0, windows media player, winamp kmplayer.
It performs quite well, the colors were quite vivid and bright actually I tested a demo of crysis on a external hdd I bought I recently.
Does not skip a beat and keeps up with in normal and medium high settings.
For the folding part, it does quite well and requires 5-20% of one cpu core, luckily my smp client didn't drop that much in points but the computer started to wear down between 1am and 8am after both clients going side by side.

I put my hands inside of my pc and lightly touched the video card to check the temp it was luke warm while working and has a laser beam sound to it when working.

The only downside to this card, it will need to be on it's own seperate core to mind it's own business and other apps on my pc, including myself will have to be mindfull not to overstress it.

I am going to have to reconfigure the smp client to use 4 or 5 cores again and use it while I am not home during the day.

Also the ppd for GT430 is 1348 for now, and it's using work unit M1_shooting

About now total my score with the phenom ii x6 doing less 4,000ppd should be around 8,200 total.

If anyone has questions or comments post them in here, and no slaymate I am not a fanboy I just prefer ati card for the kind of stuff I do.

It's funny to me that Galaxy dressed up the GT240 with the same cooler and a cool cover but the GT430 just gets the cooler. It's a great cooler but... it's also funny that for some odd reason I've owned 3 Galaxy cards in a row, 210, 240, 450, great brand.... N-E-WHO...

My old GT240 did 4-5000ppd IIRC so you should see a good amount more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom