GPU Heat Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubson57

Solid State Member
I just got the gpu client working on my machine running a 5870. About how hot should this card get when it is folding? When I play demanding games, I usually see my card go into the mid 60s but when folding my card just hit 70.

I'd say keep it under 80, but personally I never like to see my GPU's above 70.

What you could do is try turning up the fan speed

I figured that temp was ok, I would just like to keep the temp as low as I can without raising the fan speed too much which will get a little noisy. And if I do fold with my gpu for some time at or around these temps, will that long term heavy loading on the card affect the life span?

Yes, it will affect the life span, but odds are you will upgrade well before the chip gives out.

Any heat affects the lifespan of components. That's where decent cooling comes in. I keep my card's fan turned up just a little to make sure it stays within a decent range. Being EVGA, if it does they will replace it... but it won't be melted due to extreme temps. :D

Yhas 70s are abit high, 7C high, so really nothing.

Look into your airflow to your card, as thats the easiest and cheapest fix.

GPUs have alot high thresholds, nvidias are 110C, and depending oin units I can run 70s easily.

My 8800gt has been going for over a year nearly non stop with no issues.

Check what your fans are set at as you fold, and if its quite enough for you, bump the fan up abit.
I run my fans at 55% and don't hear them over my case fans.

Sorry to threadjack, but my question is similar to his. On my 5770, I would like to take off the heatsink and apply some mx-2. Would this void my warranty with XFX? I remember that BFG allows you to take off your heatsink as long as they get it back if you need to RMA.

No, that would not void your warranty with XFX. XFX is one of the companies that don't have a problem with your changing coolers as long as you replace the original to return it.

I did that with my X1950XT and 3850 (both Sapphire), and even RMA'd the X1950XT... no one cold tell the difference.

No, that would not void your warranty with XFX. XFX is one of the companies that don't have a problem with your changing coolers as long as you replace the original to return it.

I did that with my X1950XT and 3850 (both Sapphire), and even RMA'd the X1950XT... no one cold tell the difference.

Awesome. Always helps to have those extra degrees off the card where possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom