Folding, yet not folding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
I noticed that on some days, I am folding, but others I am not. I know my Atom ITX board probably can't hold the loads, but I always folded fine before now. Well, before April, when I recently reconfigured it because I found out I wasn't seeding. It has been folding when I was away on vacation for a week. Just on some days it doesn't. Nothing was happening to the computer. I am currently running F@H on this main machine, seen in my sig.

Just why does my other computer not seed some days, when on 24/7?

An Atom may easily take over a day to complete one work unit, so you'll only see work units (and thus points) being submitted on the days that it finishes a work unit. If one day you don't see any updates it is most likely still working and will submit the next day when it finishes. This is pretty common on the CPU and SMP clients on older or low-powered hardware. I tried the SMP client on my netbook (Atom N270 1.6GHz) and it estimated about 5 days per WU so I didn't fold on that.

That makes sense now. I guess I earned the team rank by passing people that don't fold anymore :p

I'll just run it on my main computer. Quad cores are bigger than an Atom single core. Running the SMP client.

You can run the SMP and GPU2 cores at the same time. You have an 8800GTS in your main PC (according to your sig) and that should produce a good amount of points as well (nVidia's are better at GPU2 than ATi, my 5870 does about 5000 points per day). Also make sure you do -smp 4 to utilize all four cores (may have to do smp 3, my i7 I do smp 7 even though it has 8 logical cores).

Yes, I fold with all 4 cores.

I never considered GPU folding. I saw that on the F@H site, though.

I'll look into that.

GPU is way faster than SMP.

Depends on your GPU and CPU, my Radeon HD 5870 produces around 5000 points per day but my i7 with SMP produces 10000 or more sometimes for a total of 15000+ points per day. It's usually around 12-13K which means the CPU is still outperforming the GPU. My CPU is an i7 930 at 4.14GHz.

If anything you can run both at the same time with little performance hit on most systems. nVidia GPU's typically perform much better than ATi GPU's because ATi is based around an outdated GPU computing system. When the complete new GPU3 client comes out it should level the field as it uses the universally compatible OpenCL library. A preview GPU3 using CUDA (nVidia only) is already available if you have a Fermi (GTX 4xx series) card.

Yes, I fold with all 4 cores.

I never considered GPU folding. I saw that on the F@H site, though.

I'll look into that.

Why the **** not... ?

Currently I am using 4 cores smp and my lower end at 4350 folds like mad with the gpu client.
If I am correct my gpu client atleast folds 3 times a day, and if I leave my pc on and quite the smp can fold atleast 2-3 times a day.

I'm not trying to pick at you or mock you or anything, but if my lower phenom II can handle it so can yours.
Whats your user name on F@H ? currently I am ranking at number 61.
I never would even dream that my amd system would get me that far, plus when I build my mothers pc tomorrow night, it will be doing my evil F@H deeds until mother gives me the light bill to pay or kick me out for no rent payment.... :p

I thought my 8800 was too weak for that, but it appears not.I only fold 2 times a day, 3 at max. I took it off my Atom system, it just wasn't helping. I guess it would help, no?

For my info, look in my sig. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom