Folding rig sponsorship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I think it matters to have our team rig beat everyone elses, but even with 2 275's and an i7 running big units, thats like 48k right (assuming 30k for the i7, 9k each for the 275's). add another 275 and that 57k. but the question is how much better do we want this to be?

Why would you bother when the 9800GT has 112 shaders and can be bought for $89?
i think he was just trying to prove i was wrong lol

original.aspx

I'm not all "learned" on these big WUs the i7's are crunching, but I do know that if we were ever hoping to fit 4 dual slotted cards on a single mobo, the only board I can think of off the top of my head that can do that is this:

Newegg.com - MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

And it's not available.

Here's a question to the people who know i7 WUs versus regular SMP: if we had less GPUs in a machine, would the big WUs more than make up for it?

EDIT: I take that back, I found 3 Intel CPU boards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16813157150,N82E16813131594,N82E16813157155

But the only halfway decent one in my opinion is a P55, so maybe we should look at an 1156 i7? Or would be alright with going with ASRock? Do we even care to get 4 dual slotted cards in the future?

Given that the hope at the moment is that we won't be buying them anyway, I reckon if we can fit 295s in there, we should (management will not be a problem unless it is radically different in Windows). We should also get 4, if we don't get all of them from one manufacturer we should try another.
Either way we should get a board that will allow 4 cards so this means at least a PCI-e 16x slot in positions 1, 3, 5 and 7. It may mean modifying the lowest card to be supported by 1 slot.
Burn, how do you know that the i7 will get that level of ppd? Even with your dedicated rig, you are getting less than that. Don't you run your main rig 24/7 or something?
While I'm pretty sure a 1.2KW PSU won't have a problem with those 4 cards I would also like to see 2 * 750W used but that is up to Bill.

yea really..my i7 at stock only added about 2-3k PPD ...i didn't run it 24/7 though but if i did it still would of been only like 4-5k ppd :| so i don't see how an extra .8-1.4ghz could give it a 25k ppd boost?

yea i say aim for 4 gtx 295's max.

Hit nvidia up for the cards, if they say no....drop down to the next level and hit evga/xfx/bfg.

^^^^^^
yea....2 psu's > 1 psu. Do we NEED 2? Nah....but does 2 look cool? yes sir it does :p. But again...that's up to our modder.

i run a GPU client in windows, and run the linux VM for my smp... gets my like 8k ppd out of my i7 running normal units. i'd run the big advance units but they havent gone well for me... they dont like my overclock...

and kmote runs gpu clients in a native linux setup with wine, so, it can be done...

edit:
@kmote, ya i run my main rig 24/7, but the big units dont like to run on my overclock. i think it might be my ram, i dont really know. if you look at my stats you can see when i completed one, its the big spike worth like 55k

and i already posted this but maybe no one looked at it.
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=11314
example ppd for running big wu's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom