Folding rig sponsorship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can sponsor your build with a new Lian Li A71 tower. Customize front door for better airflow.

I can work on it in my free time, but need to know dead line for delivery

I can sponsor your build with a new Lian Li A71 tower. Customize front door for better airflow.

I can work on it in my free time, but need to know dead line for delivery

Deadline isn't established yet, still in the "is this doable phase". Great case, awesome offer Bill!

Yeah, I think we need to make a new thread to sort out who will be donating what and so on like you suggested.

I second that though, amazing offer Bill!

This thread is a great read and im glad to be folding to help the cause. I hope this all works out and we can have a dedicated rig set up for TF. I would nominate paton or mak to store the rig.

I have a spare thermaltake 480W power supply at home. Im not 100% sure it is 480W, but that can be the backup? Anyways, just an offer to help move things along. I think we should start a topic in regards to what everyone can donate / offer whether it be time, money, modding skills, parts, what have you so we can get more concrete in what we need to be asking for.

Something you have to understand. For big businesses like nVidia, Intel, XFX, etc. even 10,000 isn't that much. When you consider how much they spend on advertising (think MILLIONS for tv ads, newspaper ads, magazines, promotions, etc.) A measly 10 thou ain't going to hurt them.

With that in mind, don't be afraid to ask for a lot. This forum DOES get a lot of traffic, and with Bill behind this project we've got even more bang. What we need is to be able to spruce up the folding area with the company donors names, as well as the folding team tags.
If any company is going to go for this they need to know they'll be getting good coverage to justify their expenditure.

I'm a bit too tired to run through this whole thread, so I will later. Here are my thoughts:

1) LOVE this idea. A while back I had been thinking about working out something like a rackmount system, but there's no way I could have ever afforded it.

2) I've been saying this for a while, but I don't see why TF couldn't get some sponsors. We're decently popular, a well trafficked site, and now our folding section is growing. I honestly think this is doable, pending Larry's input.

3) I wouldn't mind hosting it at my shop, we're probably moving to a new location in town where we won't have to pay for electric. ;) That way no one has to worry about the extra strain on their power bill.

Let's see what we can figure out by contacting companies, like what we could get sponsored with hardware-wise. Maybe we could start a folding rack, and slowly add more to it. Or we start off with a case, like the one Bill said he would sponsor us with (AWESOME case by the way) and pending later sponsorships, move to a rackmount system.

All tentative of course, but I'm really loving the idea.

I actually like the rackmount idea...not a lot of space and it's easy to just let it grow

but on the other hand a custom modded case from bill would be amazing too :D maybe the mod rig to get started then move to a rackmount as it gets more popular and people contribute?

Meh. While I myself would love a rackmout setup at my house, I think just sticking with a case would be better as it is less obtrusive to the person housing the rig. A rackmount setup would also take up more space.

And as we all know... Bill does amazing work. How could we turn down such a sweet offer?

My 2 cents

Well, the racks for the rackmounts cost hundreds upon hundreds anyway...

EDIT:

Heres another idea:

A rack (figure out how to get one), then buy all the PSU's, motherboards, cpus and ram etc without video cards. Then, the video cards can be purchased through other donations which we can add whenever we like down the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom