Folding client slowing down my system

maddangerous

In Runtime
has anybody ever experienced a folding client slowing down their system, even when said client wasn't running? i haven't done any folding in a while now because of it, but i would like to get back into it. this occurred on both the system in my profile (main computer) and my P4 3Ghz system. hmm the main computer also ran a GPU client at times.

As well my pc would just crash randomly, when the folding clients were not running.

so far i have been unsuccessful in finding an answer.

I don't get any slow downs, but I'm running much more powerful systems than yours.

Are you sure the client didn't start automatically? v7 does this by default now.

Have youj set the client to run at lowest? The setting is in the confgure tab.

You may have some success using the cpu % slider, drop it to 90% and see how it goes.

If you have the gpu set to run on the 4550, don't. AMD unfortunately need 1 core to fold, slowing everything down.

The radom crashing is another issue.. Did you see the code on the blue screen?

yeah you are running the equivalent to maybe 3 of mine :p lol

it did start automatically, but i did disable that after i found out that it did.

i did not set it to run @ lowest

IIRC, my cpu usage was set to about 75%, i have to get some new thermal paste, my temps have been slowly rising..

im not sure what you mean in reference to the GPU folding needing one core..

and as for the BSOD, i know i got one once and got it sorted out, but most of the time the machine just locked up, and the client really slowed my computer down even when it wasn't running, i know that because once i uninstalled the folding client (as it was the only difference from when the problems stopped) it was like i had breathed new life into my system...

are we talking about a specific client or project maybe? i have the info for both i can dig them out if needed.

My 1 system is 24 cores, so more like 12 times :)

AMD gpu's require 1 cpu core to run despite it suppose to be just a gpu client.

Nvidia uses maybe 3% of 1 core.

On your system specs, I'm not that surprised your slowing down, have you tried running a single core unit, aka uni-core, its a check boix under the slots tab.

They have really stepped up the wok load and stress levels on the cpu, so you may not be able to run f@h and keep your system snappy.

well when i was folding i wasn't using my computer, i would fold when i go to bed. The issue of slowing down is when the client is NOT running, it does not make any sense. it would be fine otherwise, as i dont foldand use my system for other things at the same time.

and again, are we talking about a specific client? i wonder if that could be it

i missed that you have a 24 core setup P that's pretty nuts

Buying the expensive stuff used brings the price right down.

My only thinking on your system slow down is something was still fold despite you stopping it.

Did you use the nest v7?

Oh. That explains why I couldn't find it :p no I didn't, it has been since summer when I was folding.

I'll have to snag v7 and try again, my comp hardly gets turned off and I really enjoyed contributing.

Are there any settings you would recommend trying other than the ones mentioned above?

Back
Top Bottom