Calling all computer quads and hexacore junkies!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RockMan-

Banned
Yes, you heard it right, multicore junkies, :devil: I know you have good or new systems out there.
TF.com wants your help for a little bit, weather be a measly week or month off and on, the folding team is lacking people again!

Folding@home client 7.1.43 is out and is currently stable, my cpu and gpu have been working with no problem since my last issue with 7.1.3xx.
If you dont mind it while its cold in your house and your cpu cores are readily available give us a little hand on the team!

Folding Forum • View topic - Slot Options For V7 (Pictorial Guide)
Setting up the client isnt a problem, but I am aware some nvidia cards dont get along with the client at times.

Enjoy it!

When I last tried F@H, I couldn't get it to work. There seemed to be many manual edits to make it work. At the time, I was following some guide (might have been posted here too) and I eventually gave up.
When I get home later tonight, I'll give it another shot.

What is the "folding" team?

"Folding" isa a distribute computer simulation of how certain proteins in the body transform, aka fold, to develope into certain deseases like Alhymers. It also studies proteins related to the flu as well as other good and bad probklems.

The research is being done by a grroup of researchers at Stanford University and can be found here: Folding@home - Main

What happens for youy, is you donate your idle computer to the research. That means that you d/l a small program which then d/ls the work material, depend on your setup a few megs to a couple hundred. Then using the cpu down time it runs the work unit through X steps on the simulation. Once its done, it send it back to be examine and put into the full simulation. Each unit has point value, which is your reward.. Or basically an ePenis. Trhough pts are loosely related to the amount of science done.

Now you think great why not everyone do this... Well the part that is the donation is that your computer baSically runs at 100% cpu all the time.
This cause more heat, more "wear" and uses alot more power consumption. ***********YOUR POWER BILL WILL GO UP**********

Its designed to be run on any system from a P3 up to multi-socketd server setups. Infact HPs cloud service "burnt" in their system..

I have run it for 4yrs now and think its great. Fat.clown has in the past but now feels its bad. I actually support his reasoning as alot of systems are older and very inefficient./ I'm totally against lder systems, even c2d's, running as the amount of power they use to run isn't worth the results... Unless youre running 100% renewable power..

I'm currently making 32,000 pts a day, which is about 64Pts/Watt. Which is not too bad.. But scan be alot better. So, I'm building a server setup, buying stuff "cheaply" and should beable to make 100000pt/dday at about 450W for 225pts/Watt.

For me this is my hobby, sdo i dont mind the 2-3 dollars aday in power increase.

So there it is in a nutshell..

What is the "folding" team?

If your interested and want to help out partly or every once and awhile, me and paton will build you a configuration file for smp folding for 6.0 or 7.1.4.3
Anyone else needing help I'll be more than happy to do it.
But please be specific with your current setup so I dont give you something your machine cannot handle.

When I last tried F@H, I couldn't get it to work. There seemed to be many manual edits to make it work. At the time, I was following some guide (might have been posted here too) and I eventually gave up.
When I get home later tonight, I'll give it another shot.

I use the "all in one" Folding program (the link is around here somewhere). It is super simple to set up and away you go.

Considering turning down the heat and folding on my PC out in the living room. If it can keep the area heated I would appreciate the help in the electric bill.

Considering turning down the heat and folding on my PC out in the living room. If it can keep the area heated I would appreciate the help in the electric bill.

We keep the house 58-62 in the Winter. 64-66 when we are cold.
My computer can easily heat a 10x10 room in a couple hours depending on how cold it is. I would guess that a well overclocked, higher end system would put out 2-3 times the heat of mine.
Try folding for a few hours (maybe even overnight) with the room sealed off.

If your interested and want to help out partly or every once and awhile, me and paton will build you a configuration file for smp folding for 6.0 or 7.1.4.3
Anyone else needing help I'll be more than happy to do it.
But please be specific with your current setup so I dont give you something your machine cannot handle

Mike what is the smp file for Folding, at the Minute am Running Ver.0.6.2 Build.336 of the HFM.NET, I think this is a Client for Monitoring the PPD and other stuff I think for example.. But I've taken a Big interest in Folding, But must confess I havent done to Much over the Past 2-3 Weeks in reading for example to clue me self up..

But..

I have 3 Dedicated Michines that are Running 24\7, Two Laptops and a Tower System hear at Home.. The Tower System is an Old P4, with XP Home, But the Two Laptops\Notebooks are Running Professional and Home Premium..

Also: :devil: I dont pay for the Electroisity.. :devil:

Edit: The Tower System is a P4, with a bair Minimum of 256 Memory and XP with onbord Graphics. The Second System is a Lenovo Core 2 Duo CPU @ 2.10 @ 2.10 with 3 GB Memory and Onbord Graphics and 7 Professional. The 3rd System is a Toshiba Satelite Pro l300 with a Celeron @ 2.00Ghz and 1gb of Memory with onboard Graphics..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom