2 SMP's for an i7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burn

Fully Optimized
Do I need to run 2 smp clients in order to fold 100% on my i7? I read somewhere that in order to use the extra 4 HT cores you needed to run another client... ?

Yha, but as i7s 5 other are virtual, it'll sorta slow both down.. but not really.

Technically you are running all 4 cores at 100% though, using 1 smp. If your going for points, investigfate notfreds snd the new vmplayer. It now can vm on all 4 cores. You'll do crazy work with 1 of them, and HT will allow your comp to still be usable.

Thats because your overclock isn't fully stable.

SMP is a different beast then OCCT or prime 95, where the OC test may be stable in those its more than possible it won't be for folding..

Ive always said that if it is your intention to fold on an overclock, use SMP folding itself as the test, since thats what its going to be doing..

After 28hrs of prime, occt and a few hours of intel burn test, theres no way to test for stability.

As well as 20hrs of memtest.

I can't make it anymore stabler, without just running it and locking my machine and missing hours of gpu folding... its not a big issue for me.

You miss my point entirely.

I said that if you want it to be stable for smp folding you need to fold to test the settings.

NOT use OCCT or prime 95.

Think about it, having prime 95 run will only tell you if its stable enough to run prime 95..

If you change the settings to get it stable in SMP folding you won't have to worry about anything else, since your only concerned about having it fold.

Change settings, reboot, fold, if it errors its not stable to fold...
Change them until it does not error.

OC setting may never be stable across all situations, so test the settings using what you want to do most often.

This is why I stoped folding and OCing, because I could get it stable in prime 95 just not in SMP.
And for me I saw no reason to fold at stock speeds.

I agree with Ste on this. For LinX, Prime95, OCCT and games, my i7 just needs 1.2v @4ghz to be stable.. but f@h needs 1.225v.. not a huge diff.. but still Ste has a good point..

Yha, I was upto 1.37 i think on my Vcore, and still not possible. Its under 2kppd and a lock up costs me 5-6k, so its a no brainer.

I've read other 680i boards not able to fold on OCs, and frankly not that important for me.

Maybe one day I'll play to get it folding, but now, its bottom priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom