As of 19-Feb-12

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can buy a kill-a-watt meter for 20 Bucks.

As for ppd, its slightly meaningless. Its basially calculated by thating the credit value, found on hfm.net on the right, and dividing it by the run time.

On regulr smp I make 4446pts on a wu. It takes 5hrs. So in a day I can do 4 1/2, which is ~22000ppd
Now, on bigadvc units, I make 239000ps on the wu, and takes ~4days so, bout 1/4 wu per day for 60000ppd.

As for a dedicated os, most dediacted rigs run ubuntu, or some folks built and run stripped linux os with just folding, and no gui.

Been reading up on the tech behind F@H Paton, and must ask is it worth F@H in my case, when you just mentioned about SMP, I've looked it up, and couldnt even Dream of being able to Fold on a Michine with the Capabilitys of a 8 Core Box.. And the way my fanantial situation is at the Minute, dont even know when I'll get a Nice Quad core under me desk, let alone with a nice new GPU for the PPD, or the daysperWU, I think based on a SMP Client with more than 2 Cores.

As I've seid, I'm running 3 Michines, one Older Tower System, and Two Laptops. But even thor it will be makeing PPD, at a 26523 amased Points, am I even haveing an Impact for tech-forums or the Bigger F@H Project. With only 36WU. Is the PPD meaningless, and its just the work units that Count, or is it the other way around. I dont mind leaveing the Michines on 24\7, but is it all worth anything?

Chears, Spud1200

Edit: The HFM Client, Ver. 0.6.2, is this any good, should I be useing this..

I use hfm..

For the record EVERY wu done is need. But only YOU can decide if folding at YOUR capacity is worth it.

I'm in the mind that it probably isn't to me, as I have to pay power. (BTW, I'm on a 24 "thread" box ;)
I'm probably pulling 100W more than you and alot more points.. But I'm economically able to ($60k per yr job). But 5yrs ago I too did 40ppd, and that was to only choice.

Cheap good work contribution can be had in gpus. A $100 card wuill make 3k to 5k ppd.

You need to decide what you run. If moneys an issue, run just your fastest setup. But youre doing okay for your setup.

Thats excelent Paton, Ill look at my set up and see what buget Mods I can make for the best Proformance in terms of a GPU. in one of the Tower systems. Hopefully this VGA to S-Video and Audio cable should be here tomorow. So sooner I get the system up and Running I can get the set up up and running. With the 4th Michine running the HFM.NET Client and F@H Project.

Think al look in to if you can get an External Graphics card for a Laptop, via USB ver 2.0. And if it Possible mite Invest in one or two for the Laptop Systems.

Mind you, am well chuffed am on the Score Bord Baby. :thumbsup:

Spud1200

You only really need hfm on computer. hfm just monitors a client. So if you share the folder, your main computer can read/monitor every other one.

The only gpus supported are ati and nvidia stand alone cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom