Do we want a Front Page? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Member's Area > TF2 > Serious Discussions & Debates
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default Do we want a Front Page?

Linking back to this Thread:
Tech-Forums Front Page

Now I agree that A front page would be a great idea. But most members do not realize how much work this would actually require...

I don't believe we have a need for a front page unless we go all out. That is to say, instead of just having a forum for tech-forums we would need to start doing Product reviews/overviews, have more in depth guides and contests.

I mean just look at some of the Front pages for some of the more reputible and active forums/sites.
Hardware reviews, Overclocking, Tech News and Enthusiast Community Homepage - Overclockers Club
Tom's Hardware - Computer Hardware News, Tests, Ratings and Reviews
EXTREME Overclocking Forums - Learn To Overclock Your PC Hardware
AnandTech: your source for hardware analysis and news

Those are just a handfull, but we see that all these sites have forums, but if you look near the top they have much more than that.

I am all for it, but it would require alot of time, dedication and most importantly money and connections, especially for product reviews.

The other item to consider is do we have members that actually have the time, ability and equipment to do a proper review/test..

Thoughts?

Old 01-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Do we want a Front Page?

Yea I am up for one, it's needed, tech forums could be so much more that just a forum. Reviews / news / tutorials an such. The amount of work it would take is minor in comparison to what benefits we could receive as a community.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

We would need many more admin as well, with web programming/ site construction skills. Which goes back to money.

This may mean more advertising...
Old 01-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

True, I did a little webdesign a long time ago but I still know the fundamentals wouldn't take me long to get back up to speed, I am also learning python an c at the moment so any programing I should be able to help with.

Advertising, sure ok but google adds are ok but we could drive revinue into TF with sponsorship, I have been toying with th idea of doing a tech TV show in doing so i have been looking into sponsorship from various places. Insted of doing it on my own i could buddy up with TF to do it.

We would need Dave and larry to OK anything we do officially or announce it to the public.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

I doubt we would do reviews, but the page definitely needs some help. If nothing else the information that's already on it could be presented in a much more pleasing manner.

I know there was a bit of discussion about it becoming a portal, but I don't know what or when.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 x6 core / MSI B350 Gaming Plus
Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2 SSD / WD Blue SSD 250GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR4 2400 / Win10 Pro x64
Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 01-30-2008, 08:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
There and Back again

It sounds like a good idea... For the future, when we see what can pan out if we do some research. I for one wouldn't have the kind of time needed to devote to a project of that magnitude right now. I might in the future, but right now... No way. I would even consider offering up some quarterly/monthly monies to hel with the project... IN the future... but right now... I think I might have 3 pennies to rub together! LOL

Advertising, reviews, and such are great, but what could we do to make ours stand out? I.E. what would make our pop out against Toms, and anAndtech, etc... we have had some users do some reviews in the past, so maybe we could enlist the "conscripts" for something like that... make a contest out of it, the winner of xxx will get the product for review... or the best review will get xxx... I dunno... Just babbling and throwing some thoughts out there...

[end rant]

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i7-8700K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z370 Taichi
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Old 01-31-2008, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Dave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave

There's portal pages for vB that will take whatever info, or threads, that an Admin selects to be on the front page (the portal page). It can include many things such as calendars, notes, whatever, and does look better than what we have/had.

The thing that would need to be done is skinning that page. I've got a couple of skins for this forum that I'll be adding later on to get away from the default look. They're pretty simple, but they look a lot better than the default. The portal page would need to be integrated with the rest of the forum, or vice versa.

I'd like to get some more contests going again and that would be great for the portal page. We've had design contests that were turned into calendars in the past and sold to members (the designers got a free one) and things like that can really help. At the moment, there are some things with a higher priority, but this is something that will happen.

The thing that would set us apart like some other forums....I really don't have a revelation on that, but multiple contests around computer technology (not just graphics) will be great and could really do that. Along with reviews, but there's lots of them around. We still open for ideas!

Keep the discussion going!

Dave
Old 01-31-2008, 03:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
I doubt we would do reviews, but the page definitely needs some help. If nothing else the information that's already on it could be presented in a much more pleasing manner.

I know there was a bit of discussion about it becoming a portal, but I don't know what or when.
we should do reviews, I mean most of us have experience with hardware, and I'd be willing to contribute
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 01-31-2008, 04:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Allow me to clarify... I doubt we would have any free stuff given to us to review. We could do reviews of the hardware members buy themselves.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 x6 core / MSI B350 Gaming Plus
Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2 SSD / WD Blue SSD 250GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR4 2400 / Win10 Pro x64
Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 01-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

ya if we do it, my first review will be on the x2 4600+

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Closed Thread