Your opinions needed - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Your opinions needed

I have a fairly decent system that I built myself. I'm just not getting the performance out of it that I think I should. Although I do many things with my computer, the problems I have are mostly with games. Games such as Delta Force- Blackhawk Down, Sniper Elite, and Medal of Honor- Pacific Assault usually result in the system freezing or rebooting. Other games such as Rise of Nations and Battlefield 1942 run flawlessly. I am no expert but I am not a novice either. Considering my system specs, which I will list below, what are your opinions on why I can't run games that I have well beyond their recommended system specs?

AMD Athlon XP 2800 (barton)- I have tried it OCed to 2.2ghz and not OCed at all with the same results (temps run around 50C at full load) CPU has after market heatsink w/80mm fan (1.68 core voltage)
80gb WD 7200rpm IDE HD with 8mb cache
20gb Seagate 7200rpm IDE HD
1gb PC2100 DDR
400 watt Power Supply
Geforce 6200 256mb DDR2 w/heatsink fan (runs 38C under load)
Chieftec full size case w/2- 80mm exhaust fans in back, 1- 80mm intake fan in front, and 1- 80mm intake fan in side panel.
Sofware- I run Win XP home and Speedfan to control 2 of the fans. All drivers are up to date.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Triforcer

have you tried using memtest x86? its sounds to me like it might be a ram prob. if not that then a HD or video card problem. although a VC prob wouldnt cause it to restart.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by cvb724
have you tried using memtest x86? its sounds to me like it might be a ram prob. if not that then a HD or video card problem. although a VC prob wouldnt cause it to restart.
No, I haven't tried testing the memory. I'm sure majorgeeks.com has memtest x86. Do you have to run it from a boot disk?
Closed Thread