You guys think SLI will be necessary in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SLI is only worth it if you have enough money to buy several small countries

for under $1000 I would get an Abit AV8 3rd eye, Athlon 64 3200+, eVGA 6600 GT, 2x512MB of Geil, Transcend or Kingmax PC3200 RAM and a 19" CRT

SLI is far more a tool for production uses than personal uses, even gaming. The benifits to the real-time graphics community (ie gamers) is irrelevant and an unintended side-effect of the technology. Mainly, SLI (or parallel graphics processing) was picked up by some marketing folks to sell to people who are gullible enough to believe that SLI will give enormous benifits to them despite not understanding the technology or workings themselves.

Unless you are doing heavy graphics rendering (movie quality rendering with many many thousands of polygons and very complex effects), you are dealing with complex visual rendering (scientific uses), or you are rendering on vast, complex scales, you don't really need SLI.

A good machine with a good monitor, combined with a single, good graphics card, are all you need for gaming.

Thanks for all the insite guys. It's hard to make sense with all this new tech stuff comming out, and its even harder to know if you even need it :)

I think that what happened with the 3dFX SLi will happen to the Nvidia SLI. it will just phase out to behemoth non SLI pci-e solutions. also, have you checked out the 6600/6800 dual chip boards? its SLI on a single board!

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20050309164235.html

I saw a picture of this massive 6800 hooked up to a motherboard(don't know the link), turned out that this video card was ALMOST larger than the motherboard it was connected to

god that thing is huge lol. i dont know if the whole multi gpu thing is , gonna catch on for the mass market. maybes dual core gpus. but not dual gpu. ive got the gigabyte dual 6600gt and had it for awhile and its just sat there, no1 wants it, even though it is good lol.

SLI = Bragging Rights and is a high-end novelty. It's very true that the only performance upgrade you will see is when you are running at the highest resolutions. For me, it's not worth the extra jingle. But, i guess if you got it, it's pretty cool.

I bought a Sapphire Radeon x800xt PE for $479.00 & a Artic-Cooling Silencer Fan&Heatsink for it. This GFX card is not to be funked with. I can run any new game at any resolution and never get a hicup.

Keep your SLI.

For a power supply just make sure you get one with enough amps at 12V for what your doing. Go to pcworld.com and search for PC power comsumption chart and it'll tell you relatively how many watts each component in your PC consumes. Usually around 450W power supply from a reputable company should do almost any system well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom