yay! my first electronic 'mod'! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default yay! my first electronic 'mod'!

well, when i say 'mod' its not really a mod but im excited about it anyways so i thought i would share it with you guys!

well, being the person i am, i get bored and like making stuff, and i love my computer, so i thought i would put the 3 together and banish my boredom by making something for my pooter!

at first, i was sitting there playing in croc tech and i thought how i would like to make my own fan/ cold cathode controller. i designed one in my head and drew it on paper. i was set to make it but i then discovered a flaw to my brilliant plan.... i have no electronic components! so that project is on hold until i 'borrow' some components from school!

then i thought, i will 'do ' something simpler that i can do now, so i thought of power buttons and all the kool ways i could turn on my pooter. and then i thought of security, and how at home, i dont want people/ family using my pooter w/o permission, and at lans (if i ever go to one, im only 15 lol) how i would want people turning on/off my pooter. so, i thought of putting a switch in my power button circuit. i thought of all sorts of genious switches i could put in by having hidden ones to elaborate ones, and they i thought of a key. i was straight on ebay searching for 'switches with keys' after trawling through much 'crap', i found a suitable switch and brought it for about £2 free postage! bargain i thought.

when i recieved the switch (today) i was most excited! but then there was a problem, i had brought a double pole switch instead of a sinlge, so there were 4 connector thingies on the back of it when i expected 2! not a problem i said! so i sat there with my led, wire and 2 aa batteries trying to find which pins connected to what! after a few trials i figured it out, and was on my way with my solderer making some connections! i now have it working sweet, where the power button will do bugger all unless the key is turned!! yay, i was chuffed! lol here it is :

yes, that is duct tape acting as an insulator! lol. i didnt have any heatshrink. im happy with it and am proud of my first electrical 'mod' lol. i will post pics up when i get the key mounted on a drive bay blanker, but first i need to get a drill bit!

thanks, see ya!

p.s. i know its simple, but im proud of it!!!! lol

Old 07-10-2006, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hard Gay Nahalem! Fooo!

Send a message via AIM to NosBoost300

awesome work, i would love my computer to turn on by key :P ... if i did that i'd give it a nice corvette like theme

Media Build:
Intel Core i3 3220 | Galaxy GTX 650 | 8 GB Corsair Vengeance | ASrock B75M | Samsung 840 120GB
Old 07-10-2006, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Tox1cThreat

easier way:

Get a case with a lock on the door
or install a lock on the door yourself

But seriously, this is pretty cool.. you shoudl put something in there to make a customizable startup sound when you turn it on, like an engine or something
Old 07-10-2006, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

You guys dont get what he made do you? He dosent turn the key and it starts. THe key has to be in the "on" mode for the power button to start the computer. So like if he leaves he "locks" it and when somebody trys to turn his computer on it wont turn on. But he comes home w/ the key and "unlocks" it, it will turn on.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

although, it would be very simple to rewire it to turn on at the turn of a key.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 07-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

hmm.... thats pretty sweet, but they already have something like that.

Wow i wish i could do cool stuff like that man, awesome
Old 07-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Nice work...you're well on your way to being an electrical whiz!
2GB KINGSTON
EVGA 6800GS PCI-E
ASUS P5GD1
WD CAVIAR X2
LG DVD BURNER X2
Old 07-10-2006, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by P.P. Mguire
You guys dont get what he made do you? He dosent turn the key and it starts. THe key has to be in the "on" mode for the power button to start the computer. So like if he leaves he "locks" it and when somebody trys to turn his computer on it wont turn on. But he comes home w/ the key and "unlocks" it, it will turn on.
no - I got it, thats why I think its pretty neat, I was jsut saying from the security standpoint, alternatives are to lock a case door... also thats why I mentioned the start up sound, liek when you turn your key in your car, the engine starts, so when he turns the key, the computre boots up and a sound plays...

Hazza - you shoudl definitly mount that
(and make a bunch of backup copies )
Old 07-10-2006, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
so when he turns the key, the computre boots up and a sound plays...
Yet again why i put what i put. He has to turn the key THEN push the power button to turn his computer on.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

bah either way, it would be cool..

my bad.