Xp-m!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KorKwin

In Runtime
I've got an Athlon XP 2400+ (non-mobile) and I'm unhappy :( with my overclock. I can only hit 2.2ghz stably. Anything higher even with more voltage doesn't run stable. If I were to get ahold of an Athlon XP-M 2400+ or a simialer model, I'm almost sure I should get a much better overclock. I was reading some of the reviews on newegg and people were easily hitting 2.5ghz atleast. I don't want to have to spend $$ on a whole new computer for the next games that are coming out soon that require more CPU power. All I want to do is upgrade my video card, CPU if it doesn't cost too much, and possibly RAM. With an overclock like this, if I got a newer video card (6800gt etc.) would my CPU be bottlenecked if I where to by an XP-M??

thx!!!

You might see a little bit of lag caused by the lower bandwidth offered by socket A if you were to compare it with a hypertransport equipped system, but the difference would be minimal. Games thrive much more on the GPU power than the CPU power.

I've got the 2400+ XP-M running 2.5GHz right now :p boots in at 2.8GHz but as soon as I hit 'test' in prime95 it freezes, 2.7GHz is completely stable, but requires 1.975 vcore, 2.6GHz of course is also stable, requires 1.925vcore which during these summer months even with water cooling is a bit much for my liking...so I run 2.5GHz for 24/7, it's basically the sweet spot.

The 2400's are pretty good OC'ers (referring to the XP not XP-M in this scenario) but you gotta remember to lock your AGP/PCI bus when overclocking, not only that, but on a socket A system raising the FSB = overclocking the motherboards overall system speed which sometimes requires a little more NB voltage which I wouldn't do with good NB cooling.

If you can't read my sig cause of the font it says 2.5GHz XP-M 1gb of RAM and a 6800GT and I can play all games more than adequately, mind you my 6800GT is running 430/1150 so it's a little beyond Ultra specs.......as gaara said the only real thing that limits you barely is the fact that AMD64s have a much greater memory bandwidth but it's nothing like "omg my system sucks" or anything like that...you really only notice it in aquamark and 3dmark01 benches but who cares about that right? :D

I could read your font just fine Nubius :)

So should I see a perfomance increase if I get one of those XP-M's?

sure but not that big over 2.2ghz i wouldn't think mabe im wrong but from 2.2-2.5 won't change the world for the cost i wouldn't think

Well it is possible I could get higher. Some people said they where getting up to 2.8 and one guy to 3.0 (so he said).

Lotex - 2.5 is at 1.85, 2.6 at 1.925, 2.7 at 1.975 and 2.8 is bootable at 2v and won't become stable at all, I even threw the boards max of 2.225 through it :p

Well it is possible I could get higher. Some people said they where getting up to 2.8 and one guy to 3.0 (so he said).
Without a minimum of watercooling you aren't going to hit 2.8-3GHz....and 3GHz is after chilled cooling.

If you're on air, due to temps you're going to be capping out at 2.5-2.6GHz, I've known quite a few people with XP-M chips and yeah 2.8GHz easily is just a lie.....you might get closer with a 45w 2600+ XP-M than a 35w 2400+ XP-M from what I noticed they hit somewhat the same speeds with lower voltage

Well drop the mobile idea...

My friend has an Emachines desktop (I know crap) yet it holds an XP (non-mobile) 2800+ Barton core :) . I think it is possible for him and I to switch CPU's because he recently got a laptop that pwns (6800 go) and the desktop is just used by his parents. He doesn't really care and it's his computer but I'm just wondering... would it work? I don't know if his motherboard would recognize the CPU since it's not one that would come with the computer.

thanx for the mobile help :D

EDIT: Here's a link to the Emachines

http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html?cat=desktop&subcat=T-Series&model=T2865

wait........would what work? The CPU in what motherboard?

You say 'his' and I thought that meant the e-machines....but the e-machine is coming with the 2800+?

Bah, either way if it's a somewhat new meaning within the last year and a half motherboard it should recognize a 2800+....it'd have to be such an old mobo to the point that 2800+'s were brand new technology for it not to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom