x700 fan direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

eviction

Solid State Member
I just got an x700 recently, not cutting edge I know, but I am really **** cheap. It is running at 49c right now. A little warm right? Anyhow, I have the fan off my old Athalon 1100mhz. It moves a ton of air. I was thinking about strapping that on top of the heatsink in the x700. First, would this help? Secondly, should the air be pushing into the heatsink or pulling the air away. FYI the x700 is clocked at 399/250 right now. Also, I do want to overclock this thing. My sempron 3000+ is running at 37c btw.
Thanks for any help
j

ok it runs 49c idle or is this when graphical load occurs?
if it runs 49c idle thats very bad. i belive my x850xt@540mhz/1182 does 49c under 2 hour load i would suggest getting some arctic cilver 5. and maybe actually a different cooler, because you will get some great clocks out of that card.

it runs at 49c idle, 57% fan, uggh. Should I send this back newegg for a better one? Newegg has been giving me bad crap as of late. This is a sapphire card and it runs games fine, but hot. I just ran about an hour of farcry and it hopped up to 55c. This isn't right at all is it? This was with my case totally open.

Sapphire isn't exactly known for their extra high-quality cards. I have an ASUS x700. I don't know the temps because I can't get their crappy SmartDoctor program to work, but I clocked mine to 492mhz. Send it back as defective and get a different brand, methinks.

Ryan

oh, and in addition, heatsink fans should always be pointing down towards the heatsink blowing air on them.

Ryan

i wouldnt send it back to newegg thats just a waist of time , not unless it doesnt twerk. lol but in ur case its twerks lol so turn ur fan speed to 85 precent idle and 100 precent about 50c

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
Sapphire isn't exactly known for their extra high-quality cards. I have an ASUS x700. I don't know the temps because I can't get their crappy SmartDoctor program to work, but I clocked mine to 492mhz. Send it back as defective and get a different brand, methinks.

Ryan

Sapphire are high quality cards, they have even taken over the production of all ATI branded cards.

Those temps aren't that high at all. A GPU is different than a CPU. GPUs take much higher temperatures than CPUs. You can be over 100 degrees C before you even have to start worrying about temperature with a GPU.

Thanks for all the info. Would I be better off strapping this major air pushing athalon fan onto the top of my GPU heatsink, or using it to help the case breathe. I got it to where after a few hours of Far Cry is is running at 51c. This is overclocked to 422 currently.

Install some case fans and see if you can get your ambient case temp down a few degrees. Making the entire case cooler improves the temperature in all of the components.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom