x2 3800+ overclocks - Page 7 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 02:03 AM   #61 (permalink)
Hard Gay Nahalem! Fooo!

Send a message via AIM to NosBoost300

for playing games, i don't see a processor doing much.... i saw almost no gain going from a 2.2 ghz 3500+ to a 2.5ghz opteron 146.... a few frames per second on the average up.. but not too much....

Media Build:
Intel Core i3 3220 | Galaxy GTX 650 | 8 GB Corsair Vengeance | ASrock B75M | Samsung 840 120GB
Old 02-21-2006, 02:05 AM   #62 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

again, it depends on the game. some games are very GPU dependant and not very CPU dependant. some games are very CPU dependant also. it depends on the game engine, the physics, and how much is going on at the time.

I often lag in Generals when I play multiple hard enemies. I have an Athlon XP 2800+

Old 02-21-2006, 03:04 AM   #63 (permalink)
Lord Techie

it depends a lot on the type of software you use on your pc. generally when you play a game your pc is still mutli-tasking and can become quite noticeable at points. the dual cores pick up the slack with background processes and stop them from interfering with gameplay. also being able to encode a video and play FEAR at the same time, without lag and still beat my friends P4 3.2ghz on the encoding seems like a good upside for me.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:55 PM   #64 (permalink)
Build Guru

Same here man, same here

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:16 PM   #65 (permalink)
Monster Techie

DC gaming is a total flop...just like sli. It all sounds good and dandy till you glance at the benchy's!

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...es/amd6xaa.gif
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?page...form_zip_code=

Some major perfecting to be had! I mean DC gaming might come in handy if your system is a pos and you want to play Quake "5" in two years.... But for good graphics, DC does nothing!

Its just the oposite in SLI. SLI only works when the gaming gets rough. Without a high demand SLI sucks. So future installment plan you say? You would have to upgrade as soon as your high end graphics start to lose fps...if you wait too long (low fps w/o any goodies) SLI won't help you one bit...
HSF: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
MOBO: MSI P6N SLI-FI 650i
RAM: G.SKILL 3x1GB DDR2 800
SND: Creative Audigy 4
SPK:Logtech X-540s
MOS: Logitech MX600 Wireless Laser
LCD: HANNS-G 28" Widescreen
Old 02-21-2006, 11:57 PM   #66 (permalink)
Build Guru

ITsl aready been in use for FEAR and i can see a major difference.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:28 AM   #67 (permalink)
Lord Techie

i think you should learn some facts first. unfortunately when playing a game the stock 3800+x2 functions effectively as a 3200+ but with the added benefit of not being lagged up by background processes. my 3800+ functions as a standard 3800+ for gaming. most people take the p-rating as a straight out indication of performance. but seeing as only one core operates for games and each core on the 3800 is equal to a 3200+ i wouldn't be so surprised. learn some facts!!! i did not buy my dual core for better game play i bought it for multi-tasking as i have stated

edit: also who exactly stated that a dual core CPU would boost graphics?
Old 02-22-2006, 12:33 AM   #68 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally posted by BennyV04988
DC gaming is a total flop...just like sli. It all sounds good and dandy till you glance at the benchy's!

Some major perfecting to be had! I mean DC gaming might come in handy if your system is a pos and you want to play Quake "5" in two years.... But for good graphics, DC does nothing!

Its just the oposite in SLI. SLI only works when the gaming gets rough. Without a high demand SLI sucks. So future installment plan you say? You would have to upgrade as soon as your high end graphics start to lose fps...if you wait too long (low fps w/o any goodies) SLI won't help you one bit...
all they need is for games to take advantage of the second core. current games will usually use a lot of CPU time from one core, and maybe not even touch the second core. that's why they are not effective in most games right now.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:45 AM   #69 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to BillGates

Quote:
Originally posted by BennyV04988

Whats your point? 2 years ago a 7800GT would have been overkill.....now it's not enough in some situations. Dual core hasn't been mainstream for long, give it time and everything will support it.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:59 AM   #70 (permalink)
Build Guru

Well said. Sorta like 2gig of DDR was to much last year and now its needed.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Closed Thread