WTF....Need some help here - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to MetalOwns
Default WTF....Need some help here

I've had my CPU running at 3.311 for a few days without any problems. Rebooted a few times too, no problems with it resetting at all. Then last night, I tried to set it to 3.4, and it wouldn't turn on. So I set it to 370, wouldn't boot at that either. Then I set it back to 367 which is what it was originally. Now that won't boot either...****es me off. I just put a brand new power supply into it too. What gives?

Intel Core2Duo E6600 (2.40) @ OC'ing
2 gigs G.Skill DDR2 800 RAM @ OC'ing
2x 320 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (RAID 0)
EVGA Ge-Force 7900 GS KO @ 710/985 @ 1.48v/2.20v
LITE-ON 20x DVD+/-R Burner/12x DVD-RAM w/ LightScribe
LITE-ON 48x CD Burner/16x DVD-ROM
Hanns∑G 19" Widescreen LCD
Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
Old 12-06-2007, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via MSN to synergy Send a message via Yahoo to synergy
Default Re: WTF....Need some help here

Try resetting the CMOS if you can't get into the BIOS. Then mess with the settings from there. You probably need some more voltage to the CPU and RAM.

HTPC: AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz | Gigabyte GA-880GM mATX w/ ATI Radeon HD 4250 | 8 GB G.Skill RipjawX DDR3 1600
LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD ROM + DVD RW | 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD | WD Caviar 1 TB | Antec Veris Fusion Black HTPC Case
Logitech diNovo Edge KB | Win7 Pro 64-bit
3dMark06 23,159 | 3dMark Vantage 23,579 | TF2 Stats Page | BC2 Stats | BF3 Stats
MCSE (SharePoint 2013), MCITP & MCTS (SharePoint 2010), CIW
Old 12-06-2007, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mine did the same thing. I was running @3.25MHz and tried for 3.4MHz. No go, so I set it back to 3.25MHz and it would not boot. I then tried 3.0MHz and still would not boot. Put it back to stock, fired right up. Put it back to 3.25MHz and it ran fine. Try setting it back to stock, reboot and make sure everything is fine. Then bump it back up.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

It booted up at 3.29, so I don't know what's up with it. I would have to reset the CMOS by removing the battery right? How do you get that thing out? I've tried to, but I can never get it.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

You may in for a rough ride. I have the same motherboard and HAD the same CPU, and THE SAME RAM. The E6600 I once had was once stable at 3.41 GHz for less than 2 weeks, after that I had a few problems. The final, last and Highest clock I was able to achieve was 3 Ghz. After those two weeks it would no longer be SMP Stable above 3 GHz no matter what Vcore I gave it or setting's I changed.

Since then I have upgraded to a Q6600, and it won't even boot into windows above 3 Ghz no matter what Vcore I gave it or settings I changed.
So Now I have bought a new motherboard.
I suspect, my DS3 rev 3.3 and prehaps even yours has trouble with Front side buses near or over 1316 Mhz.

I will know once I test it on my new motherboard ( Abit IX38 Quad GT).

I would not expect much from that board. I had the Same board, and revision of it, and I had nothing but problems with FSB's over 1316 Mhz between two DIFFERENT CPU's... Like I said, you may be in for a rough ride.
At least one or two other's over at Hardforum have similar problems with the same board. Blueagle87 is me.. FYI. Below is a thread at Hardforum I created not too long ago. I suggest you read all of it, it may help.
Q6600 Wall Was hit. - [H]ard|Forum
Old 12-07-2007, 12:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste View Post
You may in for a rough ride. I have the same motherboard and HAD the same CPU, and THE SAME RAM. The E6600 I once had was once stable at 3.41 GHz for less than 2 weeks, after that I had a few problems. The final, last and Highest clock I was able to achieve was 3 Ghz. After those two weeks it would no longer be SMP Stable above 3 GHz no matter what Vcore I gave it or setting's I changed.

Since then I have upgraded to a Q6600, and it won't even boot into windows above 3 Ghz no matter what Vcore I gave it or settings I changed.
So Now I have bought a new motherboard.
I suspect, my DS3 rev 3.3 and prehaps even yours has trouble with Front side buses near or over 1316 Mhz.

I will know once I test it on my new motherboard ( Abit IX38 Quad GT).

I would not expect much from that board. I had the Same board, and revision of it, and I had nothing but problems with FSB's over 1316 Mhz between two DIFFERENT CPU's... Like I said, you may be in for a rough ride.
At least one or two other's over at Hardforum have similar problems with the same board. Blueagle87 is me.. FYI. Below is a thread at Hardforum I created not too long ago. I suggest you read all of it, it may help.
Q6600 Wall Was hit. - [H]ard|Forum
Interesting...What exactly are these problems you had? Resets, BSOD's, it just not booting, or what? I'll take a look at that thread tomorrow too. Sucks though, because I was under the impression that this combo of motherboard and RAM was really overclockable.

I'd like to know what you find out after you test your new motherboard though. Recently I've been wondering if it was a problem with the motherboard as well.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalOwns View Post
Interesting...What exactly are these problems you had? Resets, BSOD's, it just not booting, or what? I'll take a look at that thread tomorrow too. Sucks though, because I was under the impression that this combo of motherboard and RAM was really overclockable.

I'd like to know what you find out after you test your new motherboard though. Recently I've been wondering if it was a problem with the motherboard as well.

After the first two weeks or so of stability for my old E6600, I would get BSOD's and Bad work units. After those two weeks, 3Ghz was the max stable clock I achieved. I was under that Impression too!!
Now with my Q6660 (It is GO Stepping) I can only get to about 3 Ghz, and not even that. The max Stable clock of my Q6600 is currently 2.95 Ghz on all stock Voltages. Now, since its all Stock voltages and I have barely touched anything, it has to be my motherboard. Anything above a Front side bus of 1316 Mhz will not even Boot into windows. It posts, but restarts before load screen. I have tried every Vcore settings and many other settings.
Its all in that thread too.

Oh I can't wait to get that new motherboard. I also bought some MX-2 thermal Paste. I will also Lap my Heatsink Base and my Q6600. Which will be another thread in it of itself..

There was at least one maybe two people that spoke in the thread I posted, they have the same Boards as us, they have similar problems..
The only thing I can suggest to you, is to flash the BIOS. Which DID NOT help me...

Closed Thread