Would this be a good Athlon64 rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkitf16

Beta member
Finally decided to break down and build a new system. Coming from a 1.73Ghz Athlon XP/1gb system. I am doing a lot of video editing using Sony Vegas/DVD Architect. Rendering the finished cut into MPEG for DVD authoring really bogs the system down. About 12 hours to render a 2 hr. DVD at high quality settings. Really slow. So here's the proposed fix, please critique and suggest if you see something I can do better, as this is my first Athlon 64 build. Budget is <$1000 hopefully. Here goes.

MB - MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum non-SLI
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice
VIDEO - MSI RX800-TD128E 128 MB, 256-bit PCI Express x16
MEMORY - Corsair ValueSelect 1 GB (2 GB total) 184-pin DDR 400
PSU - Seasonic S12 430W

For now I'll be using my 10K/18GB SCSI, 160 and 40GB IDE HDD's and current tower case for the build. I also have a Toshiba DVD+-RW and Lite-On CD burner. I already have front and rear 80mm fans. The Seasonic PSU was highly rec'd for power efficiency and high airflow. My SCSI PCI controller card will get installed on the new motherboard.

I priced out the above items at NewEgg.com and get a total of $875.64 w/shipping.

I expect to see a mega-boost in the video rendering dept hopefully! Eventually I'll switch over to some large SATA drives when $$$ are available. Do you think this will make a solid system? Any flaws you would avoid? Thanks for your input.

Gary

I don't like the PSU. I would rather go with Thermaltake, OCZ, Antec, PCP&C. PSU's are not something you want to try a different manufacturer.

X800's are not good GPU's as the next gen games will be using PSM3 which the X8 series does not support. You will not be getting your money's worth from it.

But, for your use, it would be alot better getting a Intel. For that price you could get a Intel Pentium 4 820 Dual Core "LGA775 Smithfield" 2.8GHz or a 3.2/3.4ghz prescott. I would go with the Smithfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom