Would a FX5500 survive without a fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disillusion

Daemon Poster
I think the bearings or whatever are going out in the fan on my POS FX5500 video card and it's loud and annoying. Can I just unplug the stupid fan or will the card overheat? I just figure it's not powerful enough to make enough heat to need a fan, but I don't think the heatsink is made to work efficiently without a fan.

you'd be surprised how hot a video card can get without a fan. just a little bit of moving air makes a lot of difference.

I'd recommend you get a new cooler.
or a new video card.

It'll run but I'd get a new card if I were you. I've been running a 5200 without a fan for a little over a year now but trust me, I almost got burned when I touched it one day, I can only imagine what that sort of heat does to the performance too.

lol, graphix cards can take some abuse, they run hotter than cpus typically, but thats what you are doing, abusing it... dont expect it to last very long, or perform as well as you'r running it into the ground

u can probably rig up an extra case fan or something to it if u'r handy :)
it doesnt even really have to be mounted on the hs, but having it pointed in the same direction as the one u unplugged would be the most useful... im not familiar with what that hsf looks like, but good luck!

Yeah I think mine has lasted so long because I have a 120MM case fan blowing directly towards it. So try and keep as much airflow over it as you can

just get a new fan. try to find some old 80mm fan from a old computer that people throw out. find a way to replace the old fan with the 80mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom